Which tripod head for d70s?

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the head type picked out. But not sure what style of plate will work best for the d70s (and telephoto zoom lens in the future).

So far I'm inclinded to go with this one:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2313?livid=80|81&idx=83

Because of the level bubbles built into the head. But will that plate work with tha camera? I'm guessing that the male threads are removable. Because the smaller of the two would get in the way.

Or are any of the other 468MG heads the better fit?

That would do the job, but has the weight capacity for a heavier lens/cam combo than 95%+ of us will ever buy. You might want to step down and save a buck.

A D70s with a Nikkor 300mm F2.8 AFVR lens is under 9 pounds.

LWW

I should have done the math on the combined weight load.

I guess this is the better way to go:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2314?livid=80|81&idx=83

Although I won't be saving much.

If the additional money isn't a big deal I would go with the more HD version then. Evryone's situation is different...I just didn't want you thinking you had to use a unit with that much capacity.

Turning 50 this month I am at a point in life where I buy toys generally more capable than I really need. When I was 25 I scrimped and cut corners to make every buck count.

Either of those should do a very good job for you however.

LWW

The majority of the shots I will be taking with the tripod is long exposure night shots and HDR. With some pano's once in a while. Thats why I thought this would be a good head. It's ball type but you can lock it out so it only rotates for pano's. But for pano it would be handy to have the bubbles to level the camera.
If I every get really into panoramics for whatever reason, I would rather buy the proper head for it (one where the camera swivels around the center of the lens and not the body).

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will go for the RC02 head so I can leave the smaller plate on the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back