Which versatile lens for video? (Canon 24-70mm f/4 or 24-70mm f/2.8 or 24-105mm f/4)

duarted

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I have a Canon 6D + Canon 50mm f/1.8 + Canon 17-40mm f/4 + Canon 70-300mm f/4 and I feel like I need a versatile lens so that I don't need to be switching between all these lenses all the time.

I can't decide between a Canon 24-70mm f/4 or 24-70mm f/2.8 or 24-105mm f/4

I knew I wanted the 24-70mm f/2.8 but then I saw it doesn't have IS which I will be needing for video... so now I'm confused on what to choose...

Can anyone help and even suggest other lens alternatives?

Thanks!

Canon 24-105 focus doesn't change when zoomed so it's good for video . Don't know if it's the best though

What kind of video are you shooting? Hand held? For what purpose?

I have a 6D + 24-105mm f/4L and think it handles handheld video very well and the focal length allows me to get any shot I might want (realistically). Downside might be f/4 (when compared to f/2.8) if you're shooting low light and will be using a tripod.

I shoot travel video so there's a lot of hand held footage (although I'm planning to buy a shoulder rig). I do use a tripod too but not all the time. Sometimes I have to film from a small boat which is already very shaky...

The 24-105mm has IS so it would help. My only issue is the f/4 since I'm shooting video I might need to use a higher ISO resulting in grainy footage...

But at the same time most of my video is made during the day (with very bright light, it's the tropics!). I do occasionally have to video some night scenes but that's where my 50mm f/1.8 comes to use.

I think I have to exclude the 24-70mm f/2.8 because it doesn't have IS... (anyone has a video using this lens?)

So now between the 24-70mm f/4 and the 24-105mm f/4 , what are your opinions?

From what I read in the past, a steady cam type rig is better than IS. Imaging when you are filming a footage which you are moving with the subject. At that time, the IS cannot compensate your moment. It reduce the vibration, but not the movement.

If you are stationary and filming a stationary scene, then IS maybe useful. i.e. Hand held the camera shooting a bee on a flower.

The 24-105 is my go to video lens. Great range, IS and a constant f/4.

Pair it with a 5d MKIII and you've got a killer setup.

So now between the 24-70mm f/4 and the 24-105mm f/4 , what are your opinions?

I've never even got to touch the 24-70mm f/4 but I have heard great things (though mainly from photographers). Will you miss the added 35mm off the 24-105mm? If you don't think you have much use for the extra length, I would grab the 24-70 since I have heard folks rave about it. The 24-105 for me, is just a really quality walk around photo/video lens. I like being able to punch in tight with the 105 but I also shoot mostly candid stuff (even for weddings and such, I like being further away so people act naturally and I get better candids). Your situation seems different, so the 24-70 might be the better choice.

If your still thinking of a 24-70, take a look at the Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM. That is a great lens, and also has Tamron's version of IS. I've used it for video and stills, and it performs great. It also comes with a 6 year warranty, and can be sent in for calibration to your camera, free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back