• Sigma 10-20mm

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Sigma 70mm macro

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Anglefinder, kenko extension tube set and spyder pro 3

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I need some convincing here.
I have nearly saved up enough, but there are 3 different choices that I have before me and I can't pick which one to go for - so hence the poll - though some words would be nice ;)
From my point of view

Sigma 10-20mm
pros - true wideangle lens for my 400D - since all I have currently is my kit lens this will come in very handy in landscape shots
Cons - where I am is just not inspiring me to landscape shots

Sigma 70mm macro
pros - wider angle of view than my 150mm macro so more bug in shot
Cons - its nearly the end of insect season

Angle finder, kenko extension tube set and spyder 3pro
pros - a range of uses for the kit including increased ease of macro (not the con above though) and also being able to order prints online with confidance that what I send will be what I get back on paper
Cons - no new lens - total cost is slightly more than the lenses

Currently I am torn - mostly between the last two options - I just really like new lenses.

also anyone in the UK know what is up with Kenko - seems the canon fit tubes are not for sale on amazon nor do jessopes have them in stock - is this a supply problem?

edit - drat new I forgot something -
Item 4
Binoculars
pro - can see the birdies with them
con - can't shoot the birdies with them

Last edited:
thanks Steph - is that also a hint as to which way to go as well ;)

i dont know much about the 70mm macro but if its still true macro (being 1:1) then you have just as much magnification with that lens as the 150mm. the only difference being less working distance. the longer the macro focal length the further away you must be to achieve 1:1. my vote was the 10-22mm your kit looks like its lacking in the wide angle sector.

unless (and there is always a good chance of it happening) I am getting confused = won't the shorter macro lens (which is 1:1) have a different angle of view to a longer telephoto macro lens?
My experience with my sigma 70-300mm where macro was between 200-300mm was an increase in angle of view with the 200mm end -- but was this then not at full magnification (that was 1:2 for the 70-300mm - so was it only 1:2 at the 300mm end) >?

I think you ought to save your money, and wait to buy until you know what you really want and need.

IF sincerely echos my sentiments. Though since you already have a macro, I'd go UWA with the 10-20... but its never a very good idea to have people on the net influencing your purchases at this level. :)

(that means... don't listen to me... lol)

unless (and there is always a good chance of it happening) I am getting confused = won't the shorter macro lens (which is 1:1) have a different angle of view to a longer telephoto macro lens?
My experience with my sigma 70-300mm where macro was between 200-300mm was an increase in angle of view with the 200mm end -- but was this then not at full magnification (that was 1:2 for the 70-300mm - so was it only 1:2 at the 300mm end) >?

yes the angle of view will be different, as with non macro lenses, but at 1:1 the size of the insect will be the same because it has the same magnification.

its like taking portraits with a wide angle as opposed to a 135mm, you can get the head to fill the frame with both lenses but because youre further away with a telephoto, the angle youre shooting at wont be as obvious.

i hope i explained that well.

Jerry and Iron - I do hear you - though what I really want is a 300m f2.8 - but till I am out of uni and actually earning (something moderatly steady so I can plan ahead) I have put that on hold and decided to build up in other (cheaper) areas first.

Do - I think I get you though I will see if I can find a shop which will let me have a play - as is often the case I think this is something that needs to be seen to be fully understood.

So far I think I am leaning more to the 3rd or 4th (edited in ;)) options - the wide angle is really tempting, but I just can't think of a use till Christmas so far......

im thinking of buying a wide angle for winter months to come, here in canada. ill get some nice snowscapes. but im thinking more along the lines of the 17-40L

don't know if I will be lucky enough for snow - but we usually end up in Yorkshire in Christmas and the landscapes up there are much more impressive to my eye than the flatter southern areas (either farmy or urban which is not to my liking ;))

You have to admit, that to our Canadian eyes, the thought of lightly snow dusted hills with castles in the background is quite exotic, but this year I do plan to take out my camera a lot more into the snow than last winter. There are some incredible winter possibilities in our country. They don't call us the Great White North for anything... lol.

I voted Sigma 10-20mm. You can add a $30 macro filter to either of your two existing lenses and the spyder pro 3 IMHO is not much more than horse manure. People say you SIMPLY MUST use these things to calibrate your monitors. I never ever have - My images seem fine to me. If you're not color matching to something external and specific I think they're useless. Just load up some SMPTE color bars and run through a few of those web sites (or programs) that have you adjust in steps by eye, the various attributes. I've been working that way in video for years tho so maybe I have "super-eyes" or something?? LOL

I voted for the angle finder, and extension tubes.

The main reason is, you say you don't do much landscape work, so not much point in the 10-20. The 70mm macro is redundent, I think, as you already have the 150.

The extension tubes will add to your macro ability, and the angle finder will make odd shots a little easier. I'm not sure about the spyder, but it was grouped in with the rest of the choice.

If you can, get extension tubes that work with EF-S lenses, to open up your options. My kenko tubes don't work with EF-S lenses.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back