which zoom lens to buy?

mickraemer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have a digital rebel with 3 lenses right now. the canon 18-55 ef-s kit lens, a sigma compact hyperzoom 28-200 (1:3.5-5.6), and a canon ef 50mm 1.8 prime lens. i think that this represents most of my photographic needs, but a few times i felt the need for a larger zoom capability. checking at b&h shows that up to 300mm zoom lenses are affordable. i am not sure if a 300mm zoom will make such a big difference. i also do not want to get rid of my sigma 28-200.

are there any afforadable 400mm and higher zoom lenses available?

thanks,

michael

What's your definiton of affordable? Canon does make a EF 400 F/5.6 L IS for about $1K. I have the EF 300 f/4 L IS; and once in a while, attach a 1.4x TC if I need more reach. But it's a f/5.6 and slow on autofocus. I haven't ventured to the other brands, so can't help you there.

What's your definition of affordable and what quality level would be acceptable to you?

i guess my affordable is different to you guys. i am thinking to stick in the $400 range. i do not use my camera this much to justify a more expensive lens.

michael

Well...I don't have a DSLR yet, but some ppl on the forum have told me about Canon's EF 70-200mm f/4L USM . I looked at it on adorama.com, also recommended by the forum, it costs $580 new, I think that's $US. You can try looking into that. Just a thought though.

That is indeed a very good lens...one of the sharpest zoom lenses avaliable. However, it directly overlaps the 28-200 lens that is already owned. The 70-200 would be an upgrade in quality but not focal length.

There are several 75-300 lenses avaliable. They are slower lenses (F3.5-5.6) but the price is right.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Canon 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM that I really enjoy. It's not fast at all but unless your shooting fast moving subjects in low lights it works great. The USM autofocus is very fast and quiet. I picked mine up used on ebay for $150. They run about $275 new I think. Sigma has a 170-500 f/5-6.3 that I have been looking at. It runs about $700 I believe. That would have plenty of reach.

Most reactions

Back