White lights look green in night photos

soul123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's cherry blossom season in Japan and I'm trying to take pictures of the flowers at night. Unfortunately, my camera is turning the white petals into a horrid neon green where the light hits them. There is definitely a bit of green on the trees from the leaves, but it shouldn't be this green. Can someone give me some advice?

Here's an example. All the other colors are correct except the neon green trees in the back on the right. The trees in the foreground had slightly pinker petals so they show up as pink in the picture. The trees in the back had white petals and green leaves so they look completely green in the picture.

$sankeien.JPG

It has to do with the color temperature of the lights. Very few man-made light sources are truly white.... your brains merely perceive them that way.

Short of gelling the source to correct for it (looks to be impossible for this shot), you may need to take multiple images with difference white balances and combine them in post.

Slightly cool light sources will enhance greens. Depending on how many leaves there are you've got the light shining into the leaves as well, picking up the green tint.

Do you all have any suggestions for me to work around this? I tried using the different white balance settings on my camera- tungsten, etc. It didn't have any effect.

You could use a spot brush for tint over that section in Lightroom.

That green light is probably using mercury vapour lamps ... which you would not have as an option in WB.
As sparky mentioned ... due to the different types of spectral light type in this scene, you will have to do selective colour balancing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back