White Paper Backdrop vs Chroma Green Muslim

JMASTERJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, me again, decided to make a separate thread for this.

I was going to search for a white paper backdrop, but then I saw some chroma green muslim on Amazon, a decent one here with good reviews and ok quality.

My initial thought was just use a white bed sheet, and use the image as shot, nothing fancy... just an intimate product shot anyways. Then I was thinking (I know, gezuz), since I have to spend time and money anyways getting white paper, why not just spend a bit more and get the chroma and then I can quickly use whatever bg I wish? The only crappy part is then I'll have to get more light for the chroma bec most of these cheapos have a slightly darker green hue, but it seems many photographers in the reviews say it works fine after getting the wrinkles out and plenty of proper lighting. I just have to be a bit creative in hanging it up as the backdrop, but this is nice and big, so nothing some string and binder clips cant take care of, LOL.

Besides, how could any photographer turn down the option of having a chroma backdrop in stock, esp for videos too now that I am getting the T3i? :D

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How good are you at photoshop? Or are you going to buy some of the custom Green Screen software?

In what you describe as your studio (a very small bedroom, right?) you will get color casts from a green screen that are VERY hard to remove. You really need to get your subjects at least six to eight feet away from the background minimum if you want blown out white, or greenscreen.... or the splash will make you hate them.

White Paper Backdrop vs Chroma Green Muslim

Hey guys, me again, decided to make a separate thread for this.

I was going to search for a white paper backdrop, but then I saw some chroma green muslim on Amazon, a decent one here with good reviews and ok quality.

My initial thought was just use a white bed sheet, and use the image as shot, nothing fancy... just an intimate product shot anyways. Then I was thinking (I know, gezuz), since I have to spend time and money anyways getting white paper, why not just spend a bit more and get the chroma and then I can quickly use whatever bg I wish? The only crappy part is then I'll have to get more light for the chroma bec most of these cheapos have a slightly darker green hue, but it seems many photographers in the reviews say it works fine after getting the wrinkles out and plenty of proper lighting. I just have to be a bit creative in hanging it up as the backdrop, but this is nice and big, so nothing some string and binder clips cant take care of, LOL.

Besides, how could any photographer turn down the option of having a chroma backdrop in stock, esp for videos too now that I am getting the T3i? :D

I always enjoy the typo "Muslim" for "muslin"...

GRAY paper works quite well...it's solid-tone, does not cause a lot of light "blowback", and is easy to select in post and "knock out".

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How good are you at photoshop? Or are you going to buy some of the custom Green Screen software?

In what you describe as your studio (a very small bedroom, right?) you will get color casts from a green screen that are VERY hard to remove. You really need to get your subjects at least six to eight feet away from the background minimum if you want blown out white, or greenscreen.... or the splash will make you hate them.

I've actually been a graphic and web design professional for a while, so basically, almost anything... but as all of us, we want to minimize the post... and I have CS4 so its ok but would rather have 5 that I used at my old job, which has the new bg replace feature.

Yes, about 12'x12' room... ya I was worried about that bleed from the green, ugh... dang it... I thought I could get away with maybe 5ft away from the screen... always something... so in your opinion, white would be safer here huh...unless I can shoot in the bigger room at my friends place.

I always enjoy the typo "Muslim" for "muslin"...

GRAY paper works quite well...it's solid-tone, does not cause a lot of light "blowback", and is easy to select in post and "knock out".

OMG, LMAO, sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry... but u know the "N" and "M" are right next to each other, that doesnt help either... I'll stop my comment there on that.

I saw gray, but wont gray be real hard to crop out against like a slightly tanned skin color? I thought gray would be one of the toughest, but never tried in post.. only tried white, and chroma green/blues previously.

If you are cut and pasting I am sure you can do it with either. If you are wanting to change the color of the background it's easier with blue or green as there is no blue and green in skin tones

If you are cut and pasting I am sure you can do it with either. If you are wanting to change the color of the background it's easier with blue or green as there is no blue and green in skin tones

If I wanna do anything with the bg I would prob want the flexibility to mess around and do more than just change color... either way, if I shoot in this room, the distance will give me crappy results so white/gray it is! Just wondering if it will matter if I just use a cheap white cotton sheet or do I need to get a paper roll?

Cheap white sheets like from wal mart will work-if you buy probably 3 of them. Otherwise they're pretty see-thru and even if you have a perfectly even back wall you'll still have crappy results. However, by layering them you should be fine with the see thru issue. However, wrinkles could be a problem if you are not using enough power to blow out the sheet. If you aren't constantly pulling the sheets down and folding them you can startch the hell out them and iron, hang with clamps on the bottom to pull tight you should be great. If you're using enough light power back there you will be great. If you buy 3 sheets and it doesn't work? You are out $30 and can use them for somewhere else. Is it worth taking the chance? Maybe! Paper gets used up and if this is a permanent solution it's a WHOLE LOT cheaper than paper.

Cheap white sheets like from wal mart will work-if you buy probably 3 of them. Otherwise they're pretty see-thru and even if you have a perfectly even back wall you'll still have crappy results. However, by layering them you should be fine with the see thru issue. However, wrinkles could be a problem if you are not using enough power to blow out the sheet. If you aren't constantly pulling the sheets down and folding them you can startch the hell out them and iron, hang with clamps on the bottom to pull tight you should be great. If you're using enough light power back there you will be great. If you buy 3 sheets and it doesn't work? You are out $30 and can use them for somewhere else. Is it worth taking the chance? Maybe! Paper gets used up and if this is a permanent solution it's a WHOLE LOT cheaper than paper.

Ya thats what I figured... I can just wash and dry them and hang them up right away and stretch... small imperfections wont kill me, besides, that can be "part" of the bg, no biggie, esp if its faded to a little bokeh... if not I can cheat and jus blur in PS. I heard paper can be pretty cheap but those seem to be like 4 foot wide ones, which is way too narrow... the real wide ones seem to be over $100 minimum, and ya, unless I have a good roller/stand, it'll be hard to keep in great condition long term. Thanks! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back