Who else uses GIMP? Some C&C please.

Oooh ok lol well good luck!

I use GIMP and since you said your photos are OK to edit, I played around in GIMP with this photo. I didn't crop it, but here is what I did with it:

2wftirc.jpg

I have used Gimp and to be honest it surprised me. I tried a few programs before my decision on ps elements but Gimp is still on my hard drive and I use it occasionally.

TiaS - I like this edit too. It looks like they're popping off the screen. =)

I'm used to using programs like Microsoft Photo Editor, Irfanview and Fotoflexr. But those are very user friendly, and I think that's why I was lost in GIMP. I still don't know what "burn" or "dodge" is (I saw it in GIMP and frommrstomommy mentioned it, so I'm going to check it out) and other things.

I'm curious, is it possible to desaturate only part of the the photo in GIMP? Is there a tool for that, or is that something better done with layers?

I have used GIMP for less than 6 months now and when I started I didn't even know what satuaration was, much less layers. But I have the hang of it now. I found it to have a learning curb.

I do desatuarate portions, but I use layers for that.

I'm curious, is it possible to desaturate only part of the the photo in GIMP? Is there a tool for that, or is that something better done with layers?

I can send you step by step directions for this if you want. I think you are talking about seclective coloring here... where one part is colored and the rest is black and white?

GIMP? Really? that just sounds funny, like a GIMP version of CS4 I think I might even take Photoshop Elements that came with my WACOM over a program called GIMP, is it worth looking into? BTW anyone on here using WACOMs? and what kind. I have Bamboo Fun Pen / Touch (laptop) and the Intuos III (desktop)...

Is it better then my Adobe lightroom? OK, just went to the website and the childish logo turned me off right away are we kidding? I am not very impressed am I totally wrong here? Someone stop me please... I am gonna download it just to add it to the list of software I know and to be able to answer questions about it for people on the forum but hmmm... mixed feeling about it.

I can send you step by step directions for this if you want. I think you are talking about seclective coloring here... where one part is colored and the rest is black and white?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I would love instructions if you want to give them. No pressure though.

I learned about photo editing in GIMP, its an amazing program, and paired with UfRAW its amazing. I edited TONS of pictures and drew countless "Advanced Doodles" and digital art.
The best way, in my opinion, to learn an image editing program is to look up digital art tutorials. Theyll have you draw pictures, but most of the time youre not drawing much....the tools do most of it for you. Digital artists tend to be lazy folk (I know this from experience) Were always looking for easy ways to do things, which is REALLY helpfull when editing photos, because you can usually adapt these techniques to a photo. (For example, when making a water backround, you learn about the gradient tool, the dodge and burn tools, and what gausen blur does. Once you have a concept for layers and layer masks, you can easily think "Hey! If I make a new layer and blur it, then make a layer mask, and make just what I want sharp, I can simulate shallow DOF!" Maybe the words wont be just like that...or youll think of something else...like desaturate top layer, add layer mask, and let colored layer shine through and Ill have a nifty selective color image!")
Just playing around in the program is really fun too! Play with all the filters and tools and familerize yourself that way...but using tutorials gives you an idea of how to apply what they do, and not just tell you what to do. (Its the difference between someone speaking to you in a foreign language and expecting you to understand, and them breaking down what theyre saying so you can learn what they are saying.)

But once I got CS4 Extended (My brother is really into digital art also and he bought it with the student discount...only $200, good idea if you want photoshop and are a student) I found it to be a LOT more use friendly and desigend for a fast workflow, so I prefer CS4 now and rarely use GIMP. (I use sometimes GIMP more for digital art now...usually when I can only find the brushes for GIMP)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I would love instructions if you want to give them. No pressure though.
I think that there are various ways to do it, but here is how I do it. It seems like alot of steps at first, but once you do it more and more it makes more sense:

-open your image in GIMP
-Under the Layers tab (up by file, edit, select, etc.... along the top) select 'Duplicate Layer'
-Under the Colors tab click on 'Desatuate' and than on 'Average' and than 'OK'
-Under the Layers tab go to Mask and select "Add Layer Mask" and click on "White (Full Opacity) and than "Add"
-on the toolbox (which opens when you open GIMP) select the paintbrush icon and pick your size and type of brush and bursh out the part you want colored and it will return to its orginal color. You can erase mistakes and zoom in to see more detail.
-Under the Image tab select 'flatten' and than save your image

2h35vkp.jpg

Last edited:
But once I got CS4 Extended (My brother is really into digital art also and he bought it with the student discount...only $200, good idea if you want photoshop and are a student) I found it to be a LOT more use friendly and desigend for a fast workflow, so I prefer CS4 now and rarely use GIMP. (I use sometimes GIMP more for digital art now...usually when I can only find the brushes for GIMP)

I think that GIMP makes a GIMPshop program (also free) that is to simulate the user-friendliness of Photoshop

Most reactions

New Topics

Back