Who has more balls than these guys?

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It is thanksgiving weekend here in Canada; traditional Turkey dinner is the menu.

So, we look out the living-room window & see 5 turkeys within 25'/5m of the house. By the time I switched out lenses & went out onto the balcony they were in our veggie garden.

PA100011-Edit.jpg

PA100015-Edit.jpg

Nice shots :thumbyo:

In my area they disapear one week before Turkey day lol

Props for the dual Imperial/metric 25'/5m nomenclature,Ron! Maybe that comes from the French/English rigamarole that's required by law up there,eh?

Props for the dual Imperial/metric 25'/5m nomenclature,Ron! Maybe that comes from the French/English rigamarole that's required by law up there,eh?

Not really Derrel, it is old folk vs the younger folk in Canada. Canada switched to SI metric years ago but we of the older generation still think Imperial measure for the most part. In deference to our younger folk in Canada & our international friends, I try to communicate distances @ least in both. Now tire pressures are a different issue, as are many other SI metric terms. Thirty PSI (30 pounds per square inch) tire pressure is now measured in some obscure kPa which has no direct meaning & must be interpreted. It is not a simple Gram per square mm or cm. In Europe, small lineal measure is in cm (1/100 Meter) similar to our inch but not here in Canada, our measure is mm (1/1000 Meter) the thickness of a Dime. Our bridges are measured in mm even if thirteen miles long like the Confederation Bridge that I worked on.

If you feed your turkey stuffin' ... can you just stick it in the oven on Thanksgiving?

We came back after being away for three weeks a week ago & when Jeanne first saw the birds this evening she only saw four & was relieved when the fifth appeared. These five have been about all summer off & on. Our SIL is a hunter but our place is off limits for that activity.

Okay ... I'm not against guns ... but never saw the pleasure in killing stuff. But that just me.
Actually, the pleasure comes mainly from the harvest, which includes the hunt and consuming the game. The killing is just a necessary part of it. Most real hunters do not derive any pleasure from the killing.

Not really Derrel, it is old folk vs the younger folk in Canada. Canada switched to SI metric years ago but we of the older generation still think Imperial measure for the most part. .

Nice shots, the one thing I never got used to is gas cans. To me a gas can is 5 gal. (6 US gal) and not this 25 litre nonsense. I think I carried too many as a kid from the boat dock and it will be ever so :)

Nice shots, Ron. They look very healthy. How long has this flock been living at or near your place?

As for the metric/imperial system, it continues to be an amalgam. Car speed is in km/hr (as in 100 kph or about 62 mph), milk is in litres (close to 1 quart), but most prices for foodstuff is in lbs. (probably because $1.79/lb is a smaller value than $3.49/kg.). Temperature is in Celsius, but as Ron noted, tire pressure is in PSI. Most house plans still show dimensions in ft/in, not m/cm. Wind speed is in kph, except when you're on the water when it in knots.

Engineering and science have gone almost exclusively to the SI system except if the engineering work is for the USA, then it's in Imperial. Construction is in-between, with some materials measured in metric, some in imperial. I see more movement to SI measures, but it seems to be often in the guise of sneaking a size reduction as well (1 lb. = 454 gm, but the new size is 400 gm for the same price...)

Nice shots, Ron. They look very healthy. How long has this flock been living at or near your place?

These 5 have been around here since spring. We assume it is mom & 4 chicks.

As for the metric/imperial system, it continues to be an amalgam. Car speed is in km/hr (as in 100 kph or about 62 mph), milk is in litres (close to 1 quart), but most prices for foodstuff is in lbs. (probably because $1.79/lb is a smaller value than $3.49/kg.). Temperature is in Celsius, but as Ron noted, tire pressure is in PSI. Most house plans still show dimensions in ft/in, not m/cm. Wind speed is in kph, except when you're on the water when it in knots.

Engineering and science have gone almost exclusively to the SI system except if the engineering work is for the USA, then it's in Imperial. Construction is in-between, with some materials measured in metric, some in imperial. I see more movement to SI measures, but it seems to be often in the guise of sneaking a size reduction as well (1 lb. = 454 gm, but the new size is 400 gm for the same price...)

In order to get Federal funding for Highway/Bridge projects in the USA, it has to be designed in metric. It has been this way now for about twenty years.

Nice shots, indeed.

I try to use simple measurements, like chains and fortnights.

Most reactions

Back