Who knows what this is??

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
It's a thing, but what kind of thing is it?

Rob
thing.jpg

Yeah, it was virtually flat, looked to be armoured and had the structure of a crab more than a spider. It was in Bermuda. I would say it was the size of a dime and it was on the wall. I can't tell which is the top and which is the bottom. Any zoology graduates here?

Rob

I did some googling and found this. I think this is what you saw. Its supposed to be a Horned Spider, but im having my doubts on that name. Ill try and see if i can find another name.

spider1.jpg

Greetz Daan

doenoe, you are close... haha google sometimes isn't the greatest tool... :wink:

That spider is a spinybacked orbweaver (Gasteracantha cancriformis). The species from Texas have yellow coloring on their backs and the Florida species have white instead.
They originated in Bermuda and other areas around there. In Bermuda they are either yellow or white but they are most common in either Texas or Florida.
Both of those pictures are of females of that spider. the males don't have that long of spikes.
Well, that's what it is. :) And they aren't dangerous. if you were wondering...

hehe nice info, thanks for that :). Always loved the looks of those spiders, never knew the name though.
And google got me close enough :p

Most reactions

Back