Who prints your pics

i use a local print vendor that my company spends tons of money at every year. we get a little deal for personal stuff.

im having prints done of that photo for the gallery i submitted last week...print size is 12x14 on 100lb silk stock for $2.50/copy.

walmart... not exacly my first choice but hope to print my own in the near future! :thumbup: :)

I'll run to walmart for 4x6s where the quality won't matter much (cheap little albums for friends and such), but MPix does all my "real" prints.

does anyone get poor quality images after they uploaded their images onto mpix? i just recently signed up for mpix because i wanted to buy 4x6 prints. i followed their advice and resized all my raw images to 250 dpi 1500x1000 resolution in tiff format. did some editing in Photoshop and saved a compressed jpeg at the highest quality. then i tried to upload the images. i had to install java. java warned me that my system was not fully compatible with it. i went ahead and uploaded the images, the quality of the images were very poor. im assuming that java is making the images horrible on the thumbnails, previews and slideshow. will this affect the actual prints or should i get on a computer that has java installed correctly and upload it there to be sure the images stay at their highest quality? thanks.

does anyone get poor quality images after they uploaded their images onto mpix? i just recently signed up for mpix because i wanted to buy 4x6 prints. i followed their advice and resized all my raw images to 250 dpi 1500x1000 resolution in tiff format. did some editing in Photoshop and saved a compressed jpeg at the highest quality. then i tried to upload the images. i had to install java. java warned me that my system was not fully compatible with it. i went ahead and uploaded the images, the quality of the images were very poor. im assuming that java is making the images horrible on the thumbnails, previews and slideshow. will this affect the actual prints or should i get on a computer that has java installed correctly and upload it there to be sure the images stay at their highest quality? thanks.
Java will not alter the quality setting of your images. Java is needed on your computer to run scripts that Mpix (and many other web sites) use to handle the upload of files.

You don't specify what it is about the images that cause you to say the images are horrible.

Is it on your computer that the images look horrible?

Situations like this often boil down to color space compatibility problems.

I use white house custom color, I love that their turnaround is so fast and shipping free.

I've been using Mpix since 2004. I've been very happy with them. I'm ordering over 10,000 prints a year from them. Not one of them had a problem that was Mpix's fault. In all the time I've been using them I can only remember needing prints fixed once or twice (because of a printing error). That's a better rate than any lab I've ever used, and I've used some wonderful labs.

I calibrate my monitors every 2 weeks or so, and order my prints without corrections. I think Mpix does a great job.

Obviously a lot of people love Mpix...but I love Wal-mart for anything under 8x10. To the guy that said they use Wal-mart except for any higher-quality pictures...why?

Wal-Mart uses printing machines from Fuji which *are* professional quality (each machine costs around $100,000 to purchase). They're virtually the same machines used by many professional printing shops.

EDIT: I should also mention that I *VERY* rarely actually print things. Most of it I just enjoy having digitally.

Mpix for most, it also the lab I use for customer's printing. I do print some smaller ones at home, but unless you really want to invest in a nice semi-pro wide format its too costly in ink to justify.

Most reactions

Back