Time for another B&W Shootout!

I'll toss out three versions of the following shot:

D6C_4953post.jpg~original

The SOOC versions can be found here:

JPEG
NEF
TIFF

The same 'rules' apply!:

1. Post your processing step(s) with your resulting version of the image, including the software used!
2. No other use of the resulting images will be allowed (after all, they won't be your images to start with!) Let's maintain the respect for others work & their rights to it.
3. Please resize your posted results to no more than 1000 pixels along the long edge.
4. No colors allowed in posted results. Monochrome, grayscale, black & white, desaturated.... whatever you want to call it. But NO COLOR. No selective coloring, or tints such as sepia or cyanotype either.

The purpose here is to teach & learn better black and white vision and technique!

Let's see those B&W visions!

Last edited:
Woohoo, I get to be first to post my interpretation of this b&w challenge. I used LR4 to double check the WB and then set the blacks and the whites. Then I edited it in Nik Silver Efex Pro and looked at the presets available. I looked at a normal b&w conversion that wasn't too bad but seemed bright to me. Also, I looked at the high key but this was already bright so it made it look blown out. That only left this, low key version. I moved the sliders and picked the film rendition that I liked.

$D6C_4953-Edit-2.jpg

$BWSHOOT.jpg
Decided to go creamy, smooth, and distraction-free and crisp for mine, since that's the vibe I got from the old but still new-car-smell sort of look to the pristine wheel.

Photoshop:
1) Crop to 5x7 format to remove some distractions but still be in a frameable size
2) Clone stamp out more distractions
3) Magic wand the areas between the spokes and lower curves down a good deal to reduce distractions (this and all other selection tools used a 10-50 or so pixel feathering)
4) Lowered contrast on lower left corner little bit of leather that was showing and was a distraction
5) Desaturated the hub only, to make sure it didn't get even more blown out during B&W conversion
6) Converted to B&W, adjusting the reds and yellows to make the leather and hubs better toned in relation to one another. made blues darker to increase contrast on logo.
7) Wasn't enough of a color difference to do it that way alone, so I masked off the entire leather portion from everything else, and darkened it more, to distinguish leather from spokes and give more tonal range and to show off the subtle folds more.
8) Masked the logo and increased contrast a bit more, the whites looked dirty.
9) Sharpened a bit more.

Last edited:
$D6C_4953.jpg

I converted it to b/w first the I reduced the highlight to -100 and clipped the blacks and whites. I like at least something completely black and white in my pictures. Next i increase the clarity and contrast of the whole picture. I also focused on making the center stand out so I could see the photographer more. I when to the tonecurves to rise the highlight tones a bit and lower the dark tones. Finally I burned some of the dark areas on the tire area to make it darker.

In GIMP:

Duplicated entire image to second layer.
Performed c2g on top layer.
On bottom layer, Colors>Components>Channel Mixer. Checked Monochrome and set the channels to Red: 54, Green: 4, Blue 42.
Adjusted opacity of top layer to 75% to blend the two conversions.
Merged the two layers, then cloned out some of the chipped paint in lower right.
I then headed towards the same 'dreamy' effect Gav saw.
I duplicated the one layer, and applied a Gaussian Blur (Radius of 30) to the top layer. Duplicate the layer again, and I have two blurred layers and one original edited layer.
The very top (first Gaussian blurred) layer, I chose the Soft Light mode, and dialed down the opacity to 45%. On the second (Gaussian Blurred) layer, I selected Screen Mode and set the opacity to 45% as well.
Merge Down all 3 layers, and the result:

D6C_4953Edit1.jpg~original

I used Aperture-Iphoto
1. I cropped It.
2.I brought the Exposure down a little
3.I brought black point up a little.
4. I brought up definition a little.
5.I brought up vibrancy a little.
6.I Sharpened it a little.
7.I dodged it to lighten it to give it and off white look on the cover and spokes and center hub.

Dang Mine looks good:lol: PS I was trying to fix the missing nut or bolt but just could't find one laying around.

Attachments

• $D6C_4953post.jpg~original.jpeg
    $D6C_4953post.jpg~original.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Bumpity Bump.No players.

$D6C_4953-Edit_HDR.jpg

HDR Exef Pro to recover some details -- I tried Silver Efex, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. A little selective brushing in LR to lighten some areas that HDR Efex made a little too grungy for me.

Attachments

• $D6C_4953-Edit_HDR.jpg
    $D6C_4953-Edit_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 180
$bwshoot.jpg

Adobe Raw 8.3

Contrast +86
Highlight -86
Shadows +100
Whites +43
Blacks -23
Clarity +100

Parametric adjustment
H +46
L +2
D +23
S -3

Sharpening
+45

Convert to gray scale
R -54
O -28
Y -35
G -25
A -20
B -35
P +26
M +43

Vignetting

Last edited:
Is that a hubcap? Post a photo of a person and I'll play :D

Well, it's pretty much the whole spare tire paige, not just the hubcap ;) Come on everyone knows that people aren't black and white, they are shades of grey, so that would NEVER work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL yes a spare tire...now I see ;) now I'll get back to editing my grey people

Is that a hubcap? Post a photo of a person and I'll play :D

Well, it's pretty much the whole spare tire paige, not just the hubcap ;) Come on everyone knows that people aren't black and white, they are shades of grey, so that would NEVER work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL yes a spare tire...now I see ;) now I'll get back to editing my grey people

I think it may be a spare from one of the flintstone's cars, if not, it's a model just newer than that ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back