Why am i getting this strange spot?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been getting this spot in my night photography pictures. Is there a way to get rid of this strange flare?

Shooting with my d7100 & sigma 18-35 @18mm, f8, 13 second exposure.

here is a closeup
2QjwOT6.jpg

Remove the filter.

Remove the $ 9.99 special filter.

Remove the filter.

I never really use my filters, though i paid a pretty penny for all of them.

Loose them anyways, they're all crap and all of them may cause ghosting, flare etc.

Besides, the front element of the lens is so much stronger then any filter it's like putting a piece of paper
in front of a rock to protect it. Pointless unless you're being blasted by sand 24/7 or sea waves etc.

Remove the filter.

I never really use my filters, though i paid a pretty penny for all of them.

Loose them anyways, they're all crap and all of them may cause ghosting, flare etc.

Besides, the front element of the lens is so much stronger then any filter it's like putting a piece of paper
in front of a rock to protect it. Pointless unless you're being blasted by sand 24/7 or sea waves etc.
I never use my filters for those purposes. Though if you're looking for such filters to protect your front element, they have come a long way.

I will never use anything other then a good quality ND or polarizer on occasion otherwise nothing goes on the front off my lens except a lens hood.

Is that hype or real world? Awesome commercial for sure.
It isn't hype, this is a new generation of protective filters. Here is a real world example under controlled conditions of a 50g ball being dropped onto various filters:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back