why are my photos just ordinary

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been out for a little drive today taking a few shots but they just seem boring, perhaps im shooting the wrong stuff or maybe my lens is too limiting. It seems i cant really decide what to shoot and when. Stuff near home just seems a bit boring as i see it everyday, plus the english landscape is hardly dramatic !

Try a different perspective......
(think about what I just said ;))

Ive been out for a little drive today taking a few shots but they just seem boring, perhaps im shooting the wrong stuff or maybe my lens is too limiting. It seems i cant really decide what to shoot and when. Stuff near home just seems a bit boring as i see it everyday, plus the english landscape is hardly dramatic !
Maybe instead of looking you should try making. Also try to get a better understanding of post production.

Some suggestions
1.Try something new
2. Look at the work of other photographers to get inspired
3. Shoot from different angles/perspective
4. Brush up on composition

I think this is a case of "familiarity breeds contempt." I'd love to be in the English countryside with my camera!

I've seen the bayous and cypress swamps of Louisiana, U.S.A. my whole life, and I kind of take their beauty for granted.

Your lens is a little limiting but good images need good light. I disagree about the english landscape though. Loads of amazing shots have been taken around the Warwickshire area. :)

Either that or take a drive up to Scotland :)!

"familiarity breeds contempt."

yep agree with that - I know my area (suffolk) has some fantastic landscapes, - I have seen the shots. But I can't see them in the field before they are photos.
take me to wales or scotland highlands and I can better see the landscape shots (though with little landscape experience I think it would take me a while to find my eye for it thought ;))
Your just oversturated with your area - try to experiment.
I find that if I a have no inspiration in a shot or even the wrong lighting that I get results that I am less pleased with.

"the English landscape is not dramatic"

WHAT!!!

You live in Warwickshire man ( or woman )....

You've got a damned great castle with a lovely river flowing past.. AWSOME range of photographs available on your doorstep!!!

Here are some examples of what I'd class as pretty good images ( from a quick warwick castle search on flickr - all these link back to the flickr page I found them so if someone wants to compliment any please do so in the flickr page not here ) :-

UK - Warwick - Castle Peacock - sq 02 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (can't link this image)

plus many many others.

Look beyond landscapes, or brush up on basics.

It is funny how we get used to the things that are around us and don't see the "photograph" that's in front of us. I live in Richmond, VA and get bored with this, but if I could take pictures of the English countryside or the bayous in LA, I'd love it. Don't just look around...look at what's around you, beside you, under you....

I went to your link. While I could comment on one or two of the photos, mostly I thought they were great. I even laughed with joy at one of them. If your photos from today were of the same quality, perhaps they're not as ordinary as you might think.

The right lighting can really make an image. Try planning your shoots around the position of the sun. The middle of the day will usually make for some uninteresting flat pictures, unless you really pay attention to perspective, but with the right lighting, you can really end up with a very nice set to shoot on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back