Why are my photos so soft?

What are you using for post processing ?
I open my NEF files in Photoshop. I will make some tweaks to the NEF settings as Photoshop is opening the image. Is that what you meant? If not, that's all I do...Raw NEF files in PS.

You might want to look into Lightroom, it's really easy to use and it is great for quickly editing raw files.

I hear ya. With my current "workflow", I dread having to go through a batch from the camera that I know need some quick fixes.

I hear ya. With my current "workflow", I dread having to go through a batch from the camera that I know need some quick fixes.

Do batch processing... apply the same edits to a group of photos.

I also have Adobe Bridge (CS6) but haven't explored Bridge much...yet.

So, I think I'm gathering that my D80 is probably an adequate camera and I should take my cash and buy some nice glass. My issues are probably my [lack of proper] technique and the fact that I will probably need PP to get the images I'm wanting (as opposed to getting them raw from the camera). This sound accurate?

All RAW images need some sharpening...

Birdhouse_zpsfdfc5e56.jpg

I'd say that's in the eye of the beholder. Your version is way too sharp for me.
What I will say to OP is that all the images look properly focused, however they appear to be lacking contrast (in my eyes at least). Blacks are too white and whites are too black. Like the other gentlemen previously stated; PP isn't your enemy. A small dose of Photoshop and/or Lightroom works wonders.

I'd say that's in the eye of the beholder. Your version is way too sharp for me.
What I will say to OP is that all the images look properly focused, however they appear to be lacking contrast (in my eyes at least). Blacks are too white and whites are too black. Like the other gentlemen previously stated; PP isn't your enemy. A small dose of Photoshop and/or Lightroom works wonders.

All raw images lack sharpening and need some sharpening. There is no sharpening done to a RAW image in the camera. If you don't sharpen it, it will be soft whether it's in the eye of the beholder or not. If you like a soft photo than yes you don't have to sharpen it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back