why are nikon point and shoot slow when focusing

lv6l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i would like to know why nikon point and shoot take so long to auto focus. i tried a p3, s50, and L11. they all take a long time to auto focus compare to say like cannon sd series. is there anything i should look for to know how fast a point and shoot can focus? i own a d40 slr and it focus fine. it seem like only the nikon point and shoot is slow. thanks in advance.

Point and shooters are slow in general, were you in a dark room? lots of things impact AF speed.

i understand that. but when you compare a nikon point and shoot to a canon point and shoot, the nikon is so much more slower. i just want to know why? is all brand point and shoot just as slow as the nikon or canon has the fastest point and shoot or something. i'm not comparing this to a slr. i've always been a nikon fan but was dissatisfy when trying multiple nikon point and shoot and wasn't happy with the speed.

what were you focusing on? was it dark wherever you were?

there are things outside the camera that affect AF speed, like how much light there is.

they are all much of a muchness. Depends on the model, but brand means nothing. they both make cheap slow and expensive not so slow compacts and both make excellent dSLRs. It's not a Nikon v Canon thing.

ok, maybe i'm wording it wrong. here's my story. i took a canon sd750 and a nikon s50 and both at the same time point it at the same subject in the same room at the same time, side by side. i push the shutter button and the cannon focus and was ready to shoot faster than the nikon s50. i had a nikon p3 before and it perform the same. the room was not that dark, i mean it's indoor but the lights were all on and nothing was dark. dim at the most.

does anybody notice this, or just me.

canon point and shoot focus way faster than nikon point and shoot.
canon has their AiAF but i dont know if that is what making the difference. i'm a nikon fan so this is disappointing for me because i want to get a nikon point and shoot for times where i dont have to carry around the slr.

Just buy the canon if you think its better... its a point and shoot, doesn't make a differance

You can look up the various shutter delay times

I recall a couple of years ago, the fastest point and shoot (by a long "shot"!) was the Ricoh Caplio...still a very good camera.
Not far behind was Sony v3
The Canon G6 was too slow in my opinion
If the Nikon Coolpix is slower than that then I´m not surprised you are not impressed.

thank you very much deanimator.

Most reactions

Back