Why did you go into photography?

Shutter~I read your blog entry...neat and interesting. You are very passionate about photography!
Kudos.

Mulewings,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my Blog entry on my beginnings in photography. Yes that was the point in my life I fell in love with photography, it is such a gift to be lucky enough to find things in life that give us a charge. I feel very fortunate.

I do take time to browse around on other members blogs and Flickr sites, it is fun and a good learning experience!

When I was quite young I was given this old silver camera that worked!
Then I grew up, got married and my boys were born. I asked God to help
me get a nice camera. Years went by. My boys started playing baseball and I was
still asking God to help me get a good camera.
He answered in the form of my boys finding a very nice camera bag with a 35mm Nikon, new, on the pavement where it looked like it had slid off the hood of a vehicle.
We looked for the owner but no luck. I put that camera in the top of the closet and it stayed for over a year. I was terrified to touch it! Then I became good friends with a woman who is a camera buff. I pulled that camera out and started using it.
This new friend and I played for about 1 year when we noticed that the photographer taking the sports photos for Dixie Youth (he had that contract for years) did not really care what the background was the the individual shots. It could be an overgrown field, rusted fence, bathrooms, etc. All horrible! I decided that we could do better. My friend became my partner and I purchased a backdrop of a baseball stadium and got the contract for the Dixie Youth upcoming season. And I haven't looked back. I no longer have the friend as a partner. My new partner for the past 2 years has been my husband. And I photograph horses, people, anything that moves. I love movement. Fast, slow, I love it all.
I have a Nikon D2H and a wonderful 70-200mm 2.8 lens that cost the earth and I wouldn't take nothing for them. I know the D2H is old style now but it's a wonderful camera and I love my Drag Racing photos.
Thank you so much for letting me go on and on. Rita Bruner

Because the disposable cameras I used on my honeymoon SUCKED!!!!!! So thats when I decided to by my first camera a Canon Rebel, film camera. I learned real quick that film was a pain in the rear(at least for me). So then I purchased digital Rebel and then a couple years later 50D. So far its been a lot of fun and I dont know alot of people who are into photography or know anything about it,so they think my pictures are great!

I'm a beginner and still in the proccess of getting into photography.

The first reason I decided to buy my first dSLR 1 year ago was because I have a webdesign company, and even though I have a mayor on computer systems/programming, I also love design/art, I do have skills for it, so in webdesign I'm able to combine both.
Then I realized I actually also love marketing, sales, branding, innovation etc. so in my company I was creating a new product to offer, which it was Spherical Panoramas(360x360) for our web design customers who wanted panoramas of their facilities....
... and without knowing anything about photo equipment, I dive in on the web for like 2 months learning mostly about panoramas, and I end up buying a Nikon D80, a Tokina 10-17 and the nodal ninja...

Then I saw that if had a dSLR why not going all the way and offer also some business focused Photog services, not professionaly but more on the side of complementing our customers business profiles which will end up being on their website. So instead of going to their office with a P&S and telling them to say "cheese".. I dived in again and researched and bought more Photo equipment.
Then a started to study, and read, and study again, etc. about phothography. Bought some books and such.

Now, one of the things that increased my interest on photography was when I stumbled upon Fer Juaristi's work, specially his wedding photos, he pretty much shows you what photography is capable of, with this I mean more like Photography uses Fer Juaristi's skills in order to show itself.
Well, I know, I might as well don't know too many photographers.

We were lucky to have him shoot a session of our family like 2 years ago, my brother has a Rock band and knew Fer because he shoot some photos at a concert and showed them to the Rock bands playing that day.

I do have my current business priorities but I'll keep an eye on photography to see if I have a chance at it, as a hobby maybe but still enough to enjoy it.

Last edited:
My first camera was a Kodak Hawk-eye I believe (110 film no flash except for old 8 or 6 flash disposables. I got into it originally because I liked the idea of recording moments with the family and friends. From thier I moved on to the first camera I moved on to a few of the ever flash cameras in that era, still 110mm. But settled on one of may favorite cameras a Pentax K1000. Photography changed for me at that point as I switched from just capturing time and memories to choreographing them more so to speak. I loved that camera, completely manual and therfor completely configurable to one's needs.

I have taught a few photo courses at the art center in my state, boy what I would give if all the students showed up with a K1000 and a 50mm lens! No zoom zooming, no auto everything, people might actually learn the basics and really understand exposure and how just 1 focal length sees the world completely differently than the others. In a zooming world few people actually have a handle on how to make a lens work to the advantage of their ideas. What a blessing a manual work horse and a 50mm lens would be. Yes I am quite old school in many ways. :eek:)

I used to have a neighbor who used to take everyone's pictures... I always wanted to touch his SLR but he won't let me saying it was too heavy for me... There were also broken film cams at home.

We had one of those Kodak film cams (the sturdier version of modern disposables) but it was roughly taken from my hands because I had a 'thing' with wasting film.

I was given my first (digital) cam... Sony, 4MP... Then I got a Sony Ericsson k800i. I developed a penchant for staying out all night, refusing to go home until I reach my 100th picture threshold.

Then I got my first SLR, d60... I guess all the deprivations of youth manifested itself in the love that I have for my d60... (hearts)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back