Why Do People Hate "Editing"?

Just let the camera algorithms perform the adjustments.

Don't EDIT.

But........ 'letting the camera algorithms perform the adjustments' IS editing.

Yup, but at least it will look like a regular picture without all that phony-looking "editing".

Yup, but at least it will look like a regular picture without all that phony-looking "editing".

With that 'phony editing', you'd have no image to look at.

If you really want to do photography with zero editing, here's what you need to do.

Shoot film. But don't develop it. The developer you use and the way you use it has an impact on the end result (some would call that--altering the end result--editing). Instead, once the roll is done, just put it in your sock drawer or something. Then you can live a long life knowing that you have tons of totally awesome photos that have had zero editing done to them.

Short of that, it's not possible.

People who think that "edited" photos are a distortion of reality are exactly right. What they don't realize is that the same can be said of all photography.

Our eyes don't focus on a plain. Our eyes don't have variable shutter speeds and f-stops. Cameras never have and never will show us "reality".

(What I'm saying is that if you want to actually SEE the photos, some "editing" must take place - that applies to film and digital. And also that any photo is not really a direct analog to "what you saw". We don't "see" the way that cameras "see".)

Last edited:
I worked at a couple of one-hour camera shops back in the day. If your Aunty ever dropped her film into one, then her photo's have been edited. Almost every photo that was printed had a density and or colour adjustment. But most people didn't know their shots had been 'edited'. Some needed a lot of adjustment to be printable.

Just let the camera algorithms perform the adjustments.

Don't EDIT.

But........ 'letting the camera algorithms perform the adjustments' IS editing.

And the award for the most ridiculous post of the year goes to you.

Are you seriously trying to tell us that our cameras know how to edit better than we do.

I for one do not want a piece of software built in to my camera editing a photo for me because it does not know what I want from the image.

Just as a starting point, your aunt believes what she believes and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to change how she views photographs. So one of two things, you never show her pictures or you ignore what she has to say.

And I get in trouble for making divisive threads....

Are you seriously trying to tell us that our cameras know how to edit better than we do.

Not better than someone who can edit, just better than this OP's second image.

If given the choice between that one in JPEG and SOOC with some "scene" algorithm, I would pick the camera, hence the aunt's position.

If given the choice between that one in JPEG and SOOC with some "scene" algorithm, I would pick the camera, hence the aunt's position.

Well, you did not make that at all clear in your post. You just said "never edit let the camera do it for you"

cptkid and others; yes, this thread has threatened to come off the rails several times, and my post did not help.

The way I see it, there are essentially two parts to the OP's original post:

Part A:
1. OP always "shoots RAW" and therefore always edits.
2. OP has not exhibited a high level of skill at editing.
3. Therefore, Aunt does not like "editing".

Part B:
1. Cousins would like to learn photography.
2. Cousins have heard somewhere that photographers "shoot RAW".
3. Cousins have yet to learn basics of composition, let alone high-end editing.

My position is that OP should bring cousins along in the basics before introducing editing.

I agree.. the edit is less than stellar.

cptkid and others; yes, this thread has threatened to come off the rails several times, and my post did not help.

The way I see it, there are essentially two parts to the OP's original post:

Part A:
1. OP always "shoots RAW" and therefore always edits.
2. OP has not exhibited a high level of skill at editing.
3. Therefore, Aunt does not like "editing".

Part B:
1. Cousins would like to learn photography.
2. Cousins have heard somewhere that photographers "shoot RAW".
3. Cousins have yet to learn basics of composition, let alone high-end editing.

My position is that OP should bring cousins along in the basics before introducing editing.

I agree with that view 100%

I agree.. the edit is less than stellar.

Perhaps it's not post processing the aunt doesn't like... just the "editing" she is familiar with (ie: Picnik or whatever that abominable app was called).

It's called post production!

While I'll agree with pretty much everyone here that your has not a clue what she's talking about in regards to editing, I agree with her completely about shooting to fill the frame. Everything I shoot uses the whole frame. The only time anything gets cropped out is if I have to level the horizon some. Shooting with the mindset that you can't crop trains you to always think about how you are composing the photo. It also maximizes resolution since you aren't throwing away data. And in general I've always thought 2x3 ration is the most appealing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back