Why does my computer want to format my sd card?

The weird thing is that there never used to be a problem with this card and this computer.

What changed on your computer just before this started happening? A new program added, a security update, a new website visited that may have attached spyware? Something had to change to suddenly cause the conflict.

I just had the EXACT same problem with mine - the ONLY thing that happened was - i put new clips from my phone onto the card, reinserted the disc, and it asked me if i wanted to format the disc? I have ALWAYS used this card with this computer, nothing changed on the computer at ALL. i DID put the new clips onto the card - do you think the new files on the phone, which are 15 second 'short films' (something i'm creating with 15sec.pieces) and when i put those onto the card it had changed. Has ANYONE found a solution to this problem??

In case you didn't notice, this thread is from 2008..

I hope you backed up your SD card.

Don't format it with your computer unless it won't work otherwise.. One tip-any seasoned digital photographer formats their card with their camera before every shoot....

Really? I've never done this in my life. Generally speaking I would usually tell people not to format things repeatedly... why put the additional stress on the card if you don't need to, and what happens if the formatting goes awry and makes the card permanently or temporarily unusable?

Does anyone else do this?

I format my CF card in my camera every time. I download the images from a shoot, using a card reader, once the images are downloaded, imported into Lightroom and backed up, I reformat the card in my camera before using it again. I have a few extra cards, so I can "rotate" their use, but I have a couple of cards that I have been doing this with for about 4 or 5 years and so far, no problem. I am curious why you say that formatting puts additional stress on a card. Maybe it does, but I use only SanDisk 4 GBs CF cards and maybe they can take it - don't know, because I have never heard anyone mention this "stress" issue (if that is what it is) before.

As for formatting your card in your computer, that is probably okay, but you should know that sometimes the camera will add additional information to the card in the "formatting" process that the computer will not. You also need to ensure that the format that the computer places on the CF card is compatible with the format required by the camera, which is why I always format my CF cards in the camera...then I don't have to worry about things like this. I have never had any problems with a CF card that was formatted in the camera.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

If it so ur lap and as card ill ve virus r else ur desktop ill ve virus......

I would hope that in the past two and a half years, this issue has been resolved.
fiufiu.gif

Always format your card in your camera. Don't use Windows formatting. Would you trust your photos to a format from anything other than what your camera wants/expects on the card? It could work fine but why chance it? If your card cannot be read on one laptop/desktop but it can be read on others, perhaps your card reader is starting to go bad in the laptop/desktop. If it's a USB card reader try plugging it into a different USB slot. If it's an internal reader try purchasing an external card reader (they're relatively inexpensive - perhaps $30 for a basic card reader). That might solve your problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back