Why does my flash make my pics blurry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amandamartin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought an SB flash for my Nikon D90, to use when doing on location and wedding shoots a couple of years ago. I used it on a couple of weddings, but have just kept it sitting for a while, because it seemed to make some shots verrrrrrryyyy blurry. I did use a mounting for it, and it wasn't directly on the camera. Is it causing camera shake? What can I do to avoid this from happening, because I could really stand to use the flash!:confused:

It is slowing your shutter speed to 1/60 second which is probably causing you to induce some camera shake into the photographs. The flash in and of itself does not induce shake or anything else, it is just a light.

It's probably not the flash that's causing the blur, it's the ambient light. If you're shooting slower shutter speeds, like 1/30 and lower, I'd say it's the ambient-light portion of the exposure that's blurry.

However, seeing an example, with exif data, would help us tremendously.

Well, my thought was the weight of it may have been adding extra weight. I have usually shot in APM, so I guess if I go fully manual and take a little more heed to the shutter, that will solve the problem. Thanks, guys!

LOL, I just noticed that I was completely redundant there. I guess that is what happens when you have two kids screaming "mom, can I have," at the same time you're typing. What I meant was that the added weight was fueling the camera shake. I am really not an idiot. I promise! Haha.

Two things can cause camera blurry images. Subject moving too much (need a faster shutter speed). Camera moving too much (faster shutter speed and/or stability). If you were shooting in auto or P mode your camera may have been dropping your shutter speed to low. If the sync speed is at 1/60 and you are shooting with a very long focal length (well, more than 60mm), this could have been a contributing factor as well.

Please post examples with exif data....

Please post examples with exif data....

I certainly would be happy to post if I still had these images! Like I said, I have just had the flash sitting around for two years, not in use because of the blur issue, so those images are long gone. I only save files for a year.

amandamartin said:
I certainly would be happy to post if I still had these images! Like I said, I have just had the flash sitting around for two years, not in use because of the blur issue, so those images are long gone. I only save files for a year.

What flash do you have sitting around ?

Well, grab your camera, take a shot, and post it!

u r doin' it rong

480sparky said:
Well, grab your camera, take a shot, and post it!

Or just sell the flash...... Lol

it makes your picture blurry because you dont know how to use the flash or the camera :lmao:

Well if you have an sb800, 900, 28, or 80dx, I'll take it and pay for shipping lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back