Why don’t film makers use polarizers?

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I am a compositing and vfx artist by profession and so one of the things I do a lot of is remove crew and camera reflections from windows. I work on a lot of prime time shows on major networks, some with extremely large budgets, and yet I frequently get shots that anyone could look at and realize reflections are going to be a big problem.

so why don’t filmmakers use polarizing filters and gels to reduce reflections? Is it a matter of light loss? Maybe inconsistency in contrast and color? Or is it just laziness (trust me, I do clean up a lot of laziness!)

just curious.

They're cheap. Anything they can do to save a few cents.

Fabric, sometimes a person’s clothing will create a morie pattern or turn weird colors from a polarizing filter.

Which would be harder to fix in post, reflections on a flat pane of glass or weird colors and moving patterns on an actors clothes.

Polarizers only work best at certain angles. If you shift the camera, the polarizer might not work from the new position.

Are you trying to put yourself out of work?

But seriously, I have worked on a lot of sets here in Hollywood and seen many errors of various kinds and also wondered why.

Film production is a complicated activity done on long days of tedious work and people miss things and just make mistakes,

Last edited:
Maybe because the lights are coming from so many different directions? Might cause banding. I saw a photo of a soap opera set and the ceiling was covered with 100 or more lights. plus all the fill lights everywhere

But seriously, I have worked on a lot of sets here in Hollywood and seen many errors of various kinds and also wondered why.

Film production is a complicated activity done on long days of tedious work and people miss things and just make mistakes,
oh I don’t think there’s any shortage of mistakes to fix!

but man, I could do without these camera reflections in windows. Lots of paradox and no good way to solve a 3D track…

oh I don’t think there’s any shortage of mistakes to fix!

but man, I could do without these camera reflections in windows. Lots of paradox and no good way to solve a 3D track…
They're all wearing RayBan polarized sunglasses, you see, so they don't see the reflections until they view the dailies and then it's too late. :)

Most reactions

Back