Why I refused to check my carry-on bag for an Air Canada flight to Newfoundland.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My camera gear was in my carry-on & when we got to boarding @ Toronto I was told I would have to check it, as the flight was full & no room for it in the cabin. I explained it had expensive fragile equipment inside so I could not check it. I was told to remove the fragile stuff & check it. I refused & took the bag with me onto the plane to find 80% of the overhead bins empty.

After the return flight from Newfoundland my suitcase came off the carousel missing a wheel & the corner of the bag mushy.

My wife's bag was also caved in.

P6291496-Edit.jpg

Agreed. And for the same reason. I won't check my camera equipment, it's too fragile. I had a checked bag come back to me beat all to pieces, and had my camera been in there it to would have been beat to pieces.

We had this happen to us on several flights last year. The airline asked for, and in one case insisted, on people gate checking their carry-on items only for us to get on board and find at least a third of the overhead bins were empty. Several different airlines. On the one trip where I had a small roller bag full of camera gear, I told him I would have to remove all of my camera gear before I would give them my bag and the FA rudely told me just to "go ahead and get on".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back