Why is the image smaller when the camera is tilted 90 degrees?

Blind Bruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My D7200 is used primarily to shoot vertical objects. The image, when played back on the computer, is narrow rather than full frame. Is this normal for digital? I don't recall it being that way with 35mm film cameras.

Tilt it 90 degrees on screen
And/or make sure it is at 100% image size

if you have it at 100% you'll have to go much smaller to view it on screen which varies dependent on the image size which is what you may be thinking is a problem

The image will be the same size, your computer is just adjusting the viewing size (fit to screen) so you can see all of it.

EDIT: I might add that digital is different to film in that your camera knows which way you hold it and presents the image on your screen in the same orientation.

Last edited:
The image will be the same size, your computer is just adjusting the viewing size (fit to screen) so you can see all of it.

+1,111,111.

The size is the same, just the orientation changes. Look at the image dimensions to verify this.
(File properties)

Can you turn your monitor so it's vertical? If most of your photo's are vertical that may allow for full screen viewing. That may be easier than tilting your head 90*. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back