Why is the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR sold out everywhere?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody know if they're planning on releasing something new, or do they just sell out often? A buddy is having a heck of a time finding one.

In one of the older thread, someone suggested that it was related to the Olympics.

A large number of pro shooters have switched to Nikon due to the D3. The 70-200 f/2.8 is a lens that virtually every pro wants in his or her bag. Additionally, since it is a pro lens it is made in limited numbers and Nikon doesn't have the ability to ramp up production on it.

Take a look at some of the Olympic press photos. Two years ago, you would have seen virtually every lens be white... not any more, there are now a LOT of 70-200 Nikkors sticking out of that crowd.

Does anybody know if they're planning on releasing something new, or do they just sell out often? A buddy is having a heck of a time finding one.
I'd buy an 80-200 2.8 non VR and keep the change if it were me.

My $0.02. YMMV.

LWW

It is an extremely popular lens and, sells out often. It was like when I was buying my 80-400, it was sold out everywhere online and, at most stores. I found it at one store and pounced on it, it was the last they had.

They are probably going to come out with an updated version soon. At least that is what I have read at a number of other forums.

There are quite a few used copies on the market.

Most reactions

Back