why isn't my camera focusing?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ph0toe, Jun 20, 2019.

1. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can you post an example image with the exif data intact? Sometimes it's easier to diagnose an issue if we can see the problem.

Could be missed focus, shooting inside the cameras minimum focus distance, could be a little ghosting if there's more than one main lught source. Are they continuous lights or flash?

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All you're saying is it isn't focusing.

What AF mode are you using? Are you even in AF mode? Is there enough contrast in the scene for the AF module to work? Single- or multi-point AF? How much light is actually on the scene? What ISO, shutter speed and aperture is the camera set to? Does the camera work fine outside in the sun even with no changes in the camera settings?

3. ph0toe

ph0toe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes, so shooting at shutter 60, aperture 40
    iso 8000
    one shot AF drive

the first pic was taken unzoom and the second was zoom at 70mm and also 1.5 ring focus

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Imgur
    Imgur

4. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you trying to focus closer than the lens will allow?

Every lens has a minimum focus distance. Anything closer than that cannot be focused.

What is a 1.5 ring focus?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with 480sparky, it appears as if you may be to close to focus on the laptop. The first image is focused about where the blankets are in the background.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ph0toe

ph0toe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the ring 1.5 is the distance (ft) i believe. it moves when i move the focus ring. it says macro 0.7 to 1 to 1.5 to 3 to 5 to infinite.

so does that mean i can't use the focus ring?

i see so many people film themselve in video and when they see themselves in flip screen or lcd on computer they are able to fix the focus by moving the focus ring a bit...

7. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those are the focus distances measured in meters. Note the 'm' next to the window. m=meters. Above it, you have 'ft' for feet.

0.45 meters = 1.5 feet. That's the closest this lens can focus without some sort of additional gear (close-focus lenses, extension ring, bellows, etc.). Anything closer than that distance will be out-of-focus.

8. ph0toe

ph0toe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I guess I'm a bit confused on the usage of that, I have reference it on my manual but it isn't clear. how am i suppose to make the adjustment on making sure the focus is sharp, and will i need to do anything with the focus lens?

9. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If Canon is like most other cameras, there's a myriad of choices when it comes to auto-focus. Follow focus, continuous focus, single focus, manual focus.....

There's no one single answer. You'll have to brush up on learning your specific camera's modes, focus points, etc and how each one is used and apply the 'correct' mode to your situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    In one shot AF you should be getting focus points lighting up red and and audible beep to show you have achived focus.

To manually focus disable AF, stick the camera in live view, zoom in then turn the focus ring unyil you get a sharp image. If you can't get a sharp image and the focus ring is all the way to the minimum move the camera back until it's sharp.

11. wfooshee

wfooshee No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say to ignore the markings on the focus ring. I can't tell from the posts if you're using AF or if you're manually focusing. If manually focusing, use the viewfinder. If you can't, because of the position of the camera preventing your eye from getting to the viewfinder, then you have an issue. The markings on the focus ring are not really exact, and the only real use I've seen for them is infrared photography: You focus normally, placing the subject in focus visually, then whatever point the focus ring is on the white line, move that point to the red line. None of that applies here.

Also, that minimum focus distance others have mentioned generally goes up as you zoom out. In other words, you might be able to focus at 1.5 feet at 24mm zoom, but not at 70mm. (And by the way, the term "unzoom" doesn't mean anything, but I assume you mean all the way back to the minimum of 24 on that lens.)

Is the lens autofocusing? Ignoring this subject for a moment, take it somewhere else and just shoot something across the room, then shoot something 2 or 3 feet away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dwain Geead

Dwain Geead TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Maby you are doing something wrong , ask the seller