why isn't my camera focusing?

Are you trying to focus closer than the lens will allow?

Every lens has a minimum focus distance. Anything closer than that cannot be focused.

What is a 1.5 ring focus?

I agree with 480sparky, it appears as if you may be to close to focus on the laptop. The first image is focused about where the blankets are in the background.

the ring 1.5 is the distance (ft) i believe. it moves when i move the focus ring. it says macro 0.7 to 1 to 1.5 to 3 to 5 to infinite.

so does that mean i can't use the focus ring?

i see so many people film themselve in video and when they see themselves in flip screen or lcd on computer they are able to fix the focus by moving the focus ring a bit...

Those are the focus distances measured in meters. Note the 'm' next to the window. m=meters. Above it, you have 'ft' for feet.

0.45 meters = 1.5 feet. That's the closest this lens can focus without some sort of additional gear (close-focus lenses, extension ring, bellows, etc.). Anything closer than that distance will be out-of-focus.

Thanks, I guess I'm a bit confused on the usage of that, I have reference it on my manual but it isn't clear. how am i suppose to make the adjustment on making sure the focus is sharp, and will i need to do anything with the focus lens?

If Canon is like most other cameras, there's a myriad of choices when it comes to auto-focus. Follow focus, continuous focus, single focus, manual focus.....

There's no one single answer. You'll have to brush up on learning your specific camera's modes, focus points, etc and how each one is used and apply the 'correct' mode to your situation.

In one shot AF you should be getting focus points lighting up red and and audible beep to show you have achived focus.

To manually focus disable AF, stick the camera in live view, zoom in then turn the focus ring unyil you get a sharp image. If you can't get a sharp image and the focus ring is all the way to the minimum move the camera back until it's sharp.

I would say to ignore the markings on the focus ring. I can't tell from the posts if you're using AF or if you're manually focusing. If manually focusing, use the viewfinder. If you can't, because of the position of the camera preventing your eye from getting to the viewfinder, then you have an issue. The markings on the focus ring are not really exact, and the only real use I've seen for them is infrared photography: You focus normally, placing the subject in focus visually, then whatever point the focus ring is on the white line, move that point to the red line. None of that applies here.

Also, that minimum focus distance others have mentioned generally goes up as you zoom out. In other words, you might be able to focus at 1.5 feet at 24mm zoom, but not at 70mm. (And by the way, the term "unzoom" doesn't mean anything, but I assume you mean all the way back to the minimum of 24 on that lens.)

Is the lens autofocusing? Ignoring this subject for a moment, take it somewhere else and just shoot something across the room, then shoot something 2 or 3 feet away.

Maby you are doing something wrong , ask the seller

I consider everything you guys said, plus did additional research and I still can't figure it out. In my environment which is at home no natural light, just a lamp light and the aputure 120d storm mark 2 light my mode is manual mode. shutter is set at minimum of 1/125, iso at 200 and aperture at f 4.0.

i'm trying to go for the shallow depth of field. my ring light isn't helping my focus as well and i have the 24-105mm zoom kit lens
You're trying to focus in the dark. Make sure the focus-assist light is enabled. It will provide some additional light for the camera's auto focus feature to work.

To get a shallow depth of field, you should try to optimize as many of the governing variables as you can. The sensor size has already been chosen, so you can't include that as one of the variables.

Lens focal distance set to the maximum
Aperture set to the maximum
Distance to subject
Distance to the background

I'll repeat - read the owners manual.

Based on my experience, here are other issues you need to check besides what I've read above. If you aren't sure, read up first.

Lens set to auto focus?
Enough light to focus with before the actual shot?
What is your AF button actually set to do? - yes, it can be changed. Is it set to lock or something else rather than focus?
What af mode are you using and is it focusing where you are wanting it to focus or a different part of the scene?
Are you giving the camera enough time to focus before fully pressing the shutter button?
Is it focus or image shake due to a slow shutter speed? Your photos weren't there by the time I read it. A tripod and remote are your friends.

I want to revisit this thread, because although I have improved my understanding of the technicals of my camera, I have another road block I hope ya'll can help.

so I am using a fairly old camera (mark 3 5d canon with the 24-105 zoom lens).

now, Everytime I use it to film a video of an object, myself , b-rolls, etc, the video quality is so bad. Focus isn't there, the overall lighting on the video is terrible, and audio quality is pretty bad as well. Idk what to do.

Allow me to explain my setup.

i have direct sunlight, I am facing the sunlight and the camera is between myself and the natural light.
I have my camera mounted on a sturdy monfrotto tripod. I attach my camera usb to my macbook so I can control all the menus. I am on manual mode. I am shooting at shutter speed 50 fps. I am at my lowest aperture of F 4.0, and Iso is set the lowest 200 to get the proper exposure. I had also increased the exposure compensation as well.

To my right side, I am using my aputure 120d light WITHOUT the softbox. I put it at about 20% so it isn't too harsh.

I would think this is more than enough light to give me that crispy video look, but it didn't. what am I doing wrong?
Now for focus I place an object in front of my camera , I press AF-ON to focus and it shows a white square and then the white turns to red, so I'm assuming it is focusing. BUT my LCD monitor shows it isn't in focus. I try to swtich position with the object to see myself on my computer to see if I'm focused But i am also NOT. I switch the lens from AF to manual but no difference.

Only thing I can think of is getting a lower aperture lens like a canon 85mm or a nifty fifty.

I am not sure about how powerful that light is but using it at 20% does not sound like it is giving you enough light. I am assuming that you mean 1/50 of a second is your shutter speed, and F4 and ISO 200 at 20% power on the light, perhaps that really is not enough light. I'm not sure why you are using the light at only 20% of capacity. You say that you feel your only option is to get a lens with a lower f-stop;actually your first option would be to use the light at 100% power, which would very likely give you the needed amount of light without needing to go to a lens with a lower maximum F number value

Last edited:
I take a pic and most of the time it comes blurry. it is especially blurry when i tried to zoom in and even if i adjust the focus ring nothing comes out of it.

Can anyone explain?

Photoe,

You could try testing your autofocus in Live View before taking your picture. There's a good explanation here:
Live Mode Autofocus Settings on a Canon EOS 60D - dummies

Barring that, you might take a look at your autofocus settings this way:
  • Set the Mode dial to a mode in the Creative Zone.
This option is available only in P, Tv, Av, M, B, or C mode.
  • Press the menu button and navigate to the Custom Functions menu.
  • Scroll down to C.Fn III: Autofocus/Drive and then press Set
and see if there is anything squirrly in your settings.

Steve Thomas

I am not sure about how powerful that light is but using it at 20% does not sound like it is giving you enough light. I am assuming that you mean 1/50 of a second is your shutter speed, and F4 and ISO 200 at 20% power on the light, perhaps that really is not enough light. I'm not sure why you are using the light at only 20% of capacity. You say that you feel your only option is to get a lens with a lower f-stop;actually your first option would be to use the light at 100% power, which would very likely give you the needed amount of light without needing to go to a lens with a lower maximum F number value

sorry, been busy

yes, so I have heighten the light all the way to 90%. I just didn't want to expand too much light as it will drain the battery.
i have tried it at 90% , and it is giving me better results but still not what I'm aiming for. i would think something like an aperture 120d storm (Aputure Light Storm LS C120d Daylight LED Light Kit with V-Mount Battery Plate) in itself as key light is sufficient light instead of the traditional 3 point light.

I don't have the light dome that came with it, but i dont think that matters?

I want to achieve something like . every one of his video and many others are crispy and focused detailing everything.

mine look like this : Imgur

yes 1/50 of a second for shutter. im shooting at 24fps. I was told rule of thumb is to double it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back