why isn't my camera focusing?

I looked at your link on imagur...that is definitely out of focus. It looks like you have enough light, and a good exposure, but your camera is clearly not functioning right. I don't think that the issue is with the amount of light, but rather something that you Are doing wrong.

I looked at your link on imagur...that is definitely out of focus. It looks like you have enough light, and a good exposure, but your camera is clearly not functioning right. I don't think that the issue is with the amount of light, but rather something that you Are doing wrong.

Can you identify possible things i could be doing wrong? yes, i looked at exposure (iso, shutter and aperture) to make sure it is properly exposed, but im not sure what else could go wrong?

i zoom in and then turn the ring light to focus but nothing

I asked earlier if the camera focuses OK on something further from the lens. I also asked if you were focusing manually or using auto-focus. If manually, are you focusing through the viewfinder or assuming the numbers on the ring actually relate to anything in the real world? I haven't seen responses to those.

Your Imgur link shows an image that's not through a really long lens, there's no flattened perspective, so i would expect that distance to be OK to focus. Do you have another lens to put onto the camera? Do you have another camera to put that lens on? Do you know anybody that does? Doesn't have to be the same camera, just pretty much any Canon AF camera. If you actually have broken equipment, no amount of operational advice is going to help.

So forgetting for now what you're trying to do, does the camera and lens work if you just go outside and shoot some... stuff. Take a picture of the car in the driveway, the trees across the street, the ground at your feet. Basically prove first whether your camera even works or not.

My apologies, I must've missed your initial questions.

I had recently used this camera and same lens to take some pics on a boston trip. Review here: Trip to Boston

I was able to use the AF-On capabilities on the camera to focus on particular shots all throughout my trip, so I don't believe there's an inherent problem with my camera or lens.

As for taking the shot in my imgur link, I was usually manual focus. I was focusing through the viewfinder as i had switch it to video mode. while on that mode, i just took that still shot. I only use the focus ring because I was following instruction online (when on film mode, and manual focus lens switched on, zoom in close 5x and then turn focus ring. However, nothing focused, it was still blurry.

Yes, the lens i;m using is a standard 24-105 mm lens. it is a zoom lens. distance isn;t a issue because i am not shooting anything macro and if i wanted a close up ill just zoom it in.

i don't have any other lens or camera to test, but given how my photos came out via my boston trip, I think the problem lies with something else. thanks!

I have a 5d and the OP may need to reset the camera settings to the factory settings and start all over.

As for taking the shot in my imgur link, I was usually manual focus. I was focusing through the viewfinder as i had switch it to video mode. while on that mode, i just took that still shot. I only use the focus ring because I was following instruction online (when on film mode, and manual focus lens switched on, zoom in close 5x and then turn focus ring. However, nothing focused, it was still blurry.
Your description is very hard to understand.

As I understand it, some internet instruction advised you to zoom in close to focus manually.

Then what? Do you then zoom back wider to shoot? Is the focus ring moving when you do that?

What I'm saying is when I switch to film I zoom in x 5 or x 10 to view subject, and then i turn focus ring and nothing focuses. only when i unzoom and then change the zoom lens to 50mm or something then it focuses okay.

What I'm saying is when I switch to film I zoom in x 5 or x 10 to view subject, and then i turn focus ring and nothing focuses. only when i unzoom and then change the zoom lens to 50mm or something then it focuses okay.
It sounds as if you're trying to focus too close.

Most lenses will not focus close, and the closest focus distance is listed in the specifications.

Honestly, I cannot tell for sure what you're doing, as you're not using standard terminology.

Most lenses will not focus close, and the closest focus distance is listed in the specifications.

Honestly, I cannot tell for sure what you're doing, as you're not using standard terminology.

I think I am explaining it in layman terms. But, nonetheless my aim is to shoot video and have me (the subject) be in focus. I have my . camera at f/ 4, Iso -800 and shutter at 1/50. I am shooting at 1920 x 1080 24 frames per second.

This will give my reading on my camera a proper exposure given my conditions. (external light, natural light, etc)

However, when I press record and insert that footage into my computer, it comes up as blurry.

I did some research and I was told to switch AF to manual focus after I have nailed focus on my viewfinder. However, when I attempt to focus on an object (which will eventually be where I will be standing), I don't get focus. I tried zooming in using the magnifier and then turn the focus ring, but nothing.

So I don't know what to do from here.

I think I am explaining it in layman terms. But, nonetheless my aim is to shoot video and have me (the subject) be in focus. I have my . camera at f/ 4, Iso -800 and shutter at 1/50. I am shooting at 1920 x 1080 24 frames per second.

This will give my reading on my camera a proper exposure given my conditions. (external light, natural light, etc)

However, when I press record and insert that footage into my computer, it comes up as blurry.

I did some research and I was told to switch AF to manual focus after I have nailed focus on my viewfinder. However, when I attempt to focus on an object (which will eventually be where I will be standing), I don't get focus. I tried zooming in using the magnifier and then turn the focus ring, but nothing.

I think all you need to do is pre-focus at the distance you will be from the lens and leave it there. Make sure your depth of field (also known as depth of focus) will be sufficient to include your body and whatever you are demonstrating.

Your lens should focus if you just let it. with the lens on auto focus, let it focus, then lock focus. Do not try to re-focus manually. Just leave it focused and make your video. All that switching around is confusing you. It's not that complicated.

Here is a sample DOF calculation that I got from the internet.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 7.59.04 PM.png

I think all you need to do is pre-focus at the distance you will be from the lens and leave it there. Make sure your depth of field (also known as depth of focus) will be sufficient to include your body and whatever you are demonstrating.

Your lens should focus if you just let it. with the lens on auto focus, let it focus, then lock focus. Do not try to re-focus manually. Just leave it focused and make your video. All that switching around is confusing you. It's not that complicated.

how to lock focus? by switching to manual?

how to lock focus? by switching to manual?
I don't know your camera, but some have an "AF-L" button, or you could simply turn off the AF. Consult your user's manual. If you have the camera mounted on a tripod, and the lens is focused once, it should remain in focus while you do your video. It is important to allow enough DOF when you set up the shot so nothing will look out of focus in the video.

someone suggested that you reset your camera. It is very difficult to understand what you are doing. I did not like the sound of you using the AF on button… Which made me think that maybe you had somehow configured the camera to work with back button focus

Most reactions

New Topics

Back