WHY!!!????

Perhaps the answer has nothing to do with photography at all....

An item that has is focused on a niche market with little competition that a company would have to charge that much in order to make it worth their while to make.

What makes this more expensive than an other umbrella? What type of photography is this geared toward and what makes it better for that process?

Broncolor is my light brand of choice for 3 reasons.

1/ a dealer was located 30 mns from my first studio

2/ I really liked the gear

3/ a dealer is within 1 hr of my new studio

LOL

Then, there are a few other reasons that I shouldn't have to mention. When you work everyday with the same tools you want those tools to be the best. Cheap tools end up costing you money. I don't know if Broncolor is the best and I don't care. I only know they took care of me the first time around and I had no reason to go look for some other brand the second time around.

Pro gear is expensive because of its quality, its customer relations, etc and well worth the price to a pro. And also because they can't discount their prices because of the millions of people buying their stuff.

Nikon and Canon can be a lot cheaper than Hasselblad because they sell mass quantities. You have the same deal with lights. Broncolor doesn't sell to the mass market. Alien Bees is trying to and doing pretty good. But there is no way I would have ABs in my studio. Quality is decent but not the best. Customer service is decent for amateurs and sucks for pros. End of story.

So, to get back to your question. What is it that made you look at this reflector umbrella? Is there a specific project you want to use it for? Or did you just run into it and wondered bout its price?

Did you even go to the Broncolor site to see what they say about it?

I came across it on BH. I have been building a light setup to start doing studio work on my own. I have done studio work before with a trio of A/B's. My lighting is all speedlights right now and eventually I will go back to full studio lights. My point was what makes this cost nearly $5,000. I get that they are good but I can get an AB1600 and a 86" PLM for a tenth of the cost and have a great flash. I just dont understand the price. I understand the Mamiya Leica and HB prices as they are great...though they are a little higher side I get it but this is a light with umbrella?????????

ABs are decent starting strobes. I've told more than one person to get them. But when you work day in, day out with strobes, they're not all that great. Unfortunately, it is not something you can really explain. It is something that needs to be experienced to understand. Kind of like the difference between a Hasselblad and a Pentax 645.

I always tell people to get whatever brand of lights has a dealer nearby for the simple reason that if sh*t happens, and it always does, you can get replacement parts fast and easy. But there is no AB dealer nearby. It's all through the mail. Sorry but if I need to shoot a photo today I can't wait a couple days to get the gear.

What I'm saying is that it all depends on what level of photography you are doing. Choose your gear according to what you do.

Or what it is you really want to do.

So long as you are realistic with your abilities. My first strobes were Broncolor because I intended to get big as a photog and I had no desire to think about upgrading my gear later. Then again, I was going after commercial work. I would never have gotten that brand to do some retail portraits and that is where it is important to know what exactly you want to do. And be realistic about what you can do.

Yup, check out the Broncolor site, the Umbrella Para 170 FB and Sarah Silver the photographer featured in the video on the opening Broncolor video. If, after you read all the information about the Umbrella Para 170 FB, watch the video a few times, and spend some time thoroughly looking thorough Sara Silver's site, you still are asking the same question "Why is it so expensive" you just stick with you "affordable" AG equipment and realize there are things beyond your understanding. Don't even think about reading any of Steven Hawking's work.

How many miles is it across the Milky Way?

Last edited:
Why?

The name "Broncolor". it's a "name". Like Rolex...it costs a lot, and it has cachet...it doesn't keep time any better than a Seiko, but for those who love to show off and say, " Look at me! look at me! aren't I cool!" Rolex (and Broncolor) are very popular with status-seeking types.

Why?

The name "Broncolor". it's a "name". Like Rolex...it costs a lot, and it has cachet...it doesn't keep time any better than a Seiko, but for those who love to show off and say, " Look at me! look at me! aren't I cool!" Rolex (and Broncolor) are very popular with status-seeking types.

Straight from the mouth of the horse that never won the Derby.

Broncolor is a tool. Rolex is a status symbol. I can keep time just fine with a $20.00 Timex

Edit= "The name "Broncolor" that 98% of members on this forum don't even know.

Ok um... I have a rolex daytona.... It is a 25K watch... I also have fossil watches among others... I know the reason to spend money. Something like this does not make sense to spend that kind of money on it.

I do not really think that most people would choose this and as far as pro using light... Joe Mcnally who is a world renown photographer uses speedlights mainly and a variety of studio lights including AB's.

I just do not understand why the price is such. I guess if you really want to spend that kind of money you can but I do not see anything wrong with using AB's or similar. It is all a choice. Tell me this...

What Can't a AB do that the 5K Broni can?

Schimelphoto said:
you still are asking the same question "Why is it so expensive" you just stick with you "affordable" AG equipment and realize there are things beyond your understanding. Don't even think about reading any of Steven Hawking's work.

gryphonslair99 said:
if you have to ask, you don't need it

Probably as good as any other answer! Mind if I use the same when I have to explain my choice of camera? :)

Sachphotography said:
What Can't a AB do that the 5K Broni can?

From a layperson point of view, I don't actually see any cheaper alternatives that has the same parabolic shape (and size) of the linked Broni umbrella.

Does it matter?

If it does, then that is the answer.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back