WHY!!!????

I dont think anybody here is answering my question.... What is so special about that type umbrella and light. I dont think anybody has the answer because I do not think anybody knows.

Did you look at the PDF? It's shaped like an umbrella, but the similarity pretty much ends there.

It's HUGE for one thing. The small one opens to 67 inches across, while the large one opens to 130 inches across - so big and diffused of a light source that you can stand between it and your subject while shooting and not cast a shadow on your subject. The small one weighs over 13 pounds. The large one weighs almost 20 pounds. It also appears to be using a metallic surface that's highly reflective and focused, almost mirror-like, with some sort of rail system that allows the light to be maneuvered in and out of it, while repositioning the parabola shape in order to focus or diffuse light for various purposes from flooding large studio areas to spotlighting subjects.

Is it worth the price? I guess it is to those who are willing to pay it, just like a $25,000 watch is worth the price to some. The rest of us can just move along without really spending too much time thinking about it or worrying about it, or caring about it.

The only questions left about it in my mind: Why are YOU so hung up about it? Why do YOU care? Why can't YOU let it go? And why do YOU think we should give two shakes of a lambs tail about it?

:er:

Did you look at the PDF? It's shaped like an umbrella, but the similarity pretty much ends there.

It's HUGE for one thing. The small one opens to 67 inches across, while the large one opens to 130 inches across - so big and diffused of a light source that you can stand between it and your subject while shooting and not cast a shadow on your subject. The small one weighs over 13 pounds. The large one weighs almost 20 pounds. It also appears to be using a metallic surface that's highly reflective and focused, almost mirror-like, with some sort of rail system that allows the light to be maneuvered in and out of it, while repositioning the parabola shape in order to focus or diffuse light for various purposes from flooding large studio areas to spotlighting subjects.

Is it worth the price? I guess it is to those who are willing to pay it, just like a $25,000 watch is worth the price to some. The rest of us can just move along without really spending too much time thinking about it or worrying about it, or caring about it.

The only questions left about it in my mind: Why are YOU so hung up about it? Why do YOU care? Why can't YOU let it go? And why do YOU think we should give two shakes of a lambs tail about it?

:er:

OK thank you.. What you said makes more sense than any other answer. I get it now and understand. though...Im a little shocked at the price i understand what it does....though for me... I think I would just stick with an AB 1600 and a 86" PLM.... Works for me. :)

Nikon and Canon can be a lot cheaper than Hasselblad because they sell mass quantities.

I thought it was because of the sensor size. It costs a lot more to produce medium format CMOS sensors than it does to produce full frame/APS-C/APS-H etc...

Most reactions

Back