What's new

Wide angle Lens help...

jrtcbmw

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Alright im in the market for a wide angle lens for my Nikon D300. Ive sold all my other lens except my prime and super zoom. Right now ive been reading and been to a camera store to look and touch some lenses. but im still looking for more information. To me this is a large investment and i want to make a good one.

Currently the list of lenses that i have been looking at are as followed:

Nikkor 10-24
Nikkor 12-24
Tokina 11-16
Tamron 10-24

Ive listed in the order of what ive found to like and im defidently thinking about the two Nikkor lens before anything.

I have a friend selling a Nikkor 12-24 for a really good price, but the problem with getting used is not getting a warranty, and that seems to keep going threw my head.

Any advise, comments and review and thoughts on the subject are always welcome and appreciated.

Thank you
Jason
 
I would go with the 12-24 if the price is right. Glass is one of the few things I will buy used. Since it is a friend you should know if it has been well taken care of or not.
 
Have you looked into the Sigma 10-20? I just went through this same ordeal over the last few weeks, and decided on the Sigma after reading extensive reviews on it vs. the Tokina 11-16 & 12-24. The Nikon 12-24 was out of my price range, although I still think I probably would have gone with the Sigma if I could afford the Nikon. Just another lens to think about if you haven't looked it up already.
 
Ive heard too many bad things about the sigma 10-20. and when i was at the store the other day, i just didnt like it.

I did however really like the Nikon 10-24 and Nikon 12-24. the price of the 10-24 is killing me and the fact that the used 12-24 my friend is selling is without a warrenty is killing me.
 
Hmmmm .... I've heard very little bad about the sigma ... I love mine as do everyone I know that has bought one ... What had you heard?
 
Hmmmm .... I've heard very little bad about the sigma ... I love mine as do everyone I know that has bought one

Same here. It is the only non-Nikon lens I have, and I love it.
 
Ive read and heard that the sigma is soft, and had issues with some of the lens. Its a hit or miss whether you get a good one or not.
 
Ive read and heard that the sigma is soft, and had issues with some of the lens. Its a hit or miss whether you get a good one or not.

Sigma had some QC issues in the past, but I've never heard this about the 10-20 and it's certainly not true of mine or of many others that I know (nor, for that matter, is it true of my other Sigma lenses -- my 100-300 f/4 and my two TC's). Whatever ... you have to be comfortable with your purchase.
 
Ive read and heard that the sigma is soft, and had issues with some of the lens. Its a hit or miss whether you get a good one or not.

I can confirm that my 10-20 is a little soft on the very outer edges if it is shot wide open (f/4 @ 10mm). As soon as I stop it down past f/5.6, it's pretty crisp from edge to edge.
 
I recently needed to make a wide angle decision for use with my D300 as well. I had heard great things on the tokina 11-16 but when it was time to buy, it couldn;t be found..... I ended up with the Nikon 12-24 f4 [it is a constant f4 throughout its range - did you know that?] and am very glad I went this route, no regrets. It is plenty wide and what is the stand out for me is the vertical lines staying vertical, horizontal lines stay horizontal when taking photos in the city etc. when the camera is level. Things stay nice, at 12mm. Things do not round out, like say my 10.5 f2.8 does,,, I will be used this lens, not something seldom pulled out of the bag.........

:thumbup: Bottom line I am recommending the Nikkor 12-24 f4 to go with you D300 :thumbup:
 
Any new updates on the 12-24 vs. 10-24?
 
Things stay nice, at 12mm. Things do not round out, like say my 10.5 f2.8 does,,, I will be used this lens, not something seldom pulled out of the bag.........

:thumbup: Bottom line I am recommending the Nikkor 12-24 f4 to go with you D300 :thumbup:

But you're selling it now? So it's not _that_ great in the end?
 
I have the nikkor 12-24 sitting next to me right now. Just came in from lensprotogo.com earlier today. Just messing around with it in the house it's pretty sweet! IQ is very good. I think the 12-24 has better build quality and IQ than the 10-24 don't quote me on that i just feel like i've heard that before. GL
TJ
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom