Wide angle lenses

3CROWS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently just bought my first DSLR (Nikon D90) and the kit lens it came with (Nikon AF-S DX 18-105mm lens). Very happy with both but I'm planning on going to Iceland in a month or two so some great opportunities for lots of landscape photography, just makes sense to me to pick up a wide angle lens before going.

Just need some opinions on what I should get, I'm hoping cheap because I already dropped a pretty penny on the camera itself.

Here's the cheapest best review I've found: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-3-5-5-6-Angle-Digital/dp/B001GKPU9O]Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC HSM Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon D90, D80, D70, D60, D50, D40, D40X, D5000, D3000, D700, D300, D200, & D3 Digital SLRs *: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Any thoughts? Will that lens get me this sort of effect: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2499930-md.jpg

Thanks

No --- you need something wider (I love my Sigma 10-20). 18mm on that Sigma is exactly as wide as 18mm on your 18-105.

10-20mm.com

ah ok, wasn't sure if the lens was constructed more rounded or what - never dealt with lenses before

18mm is pretty decent, 10-20 is real wide, but does distort when closer to the ten mm. Perhaps you should look at a fisheye, crazy wide, fun appearance.

Any place, just don't tell them you take them overseas, might have problems with customs though.

You might consider renting a good wide angle lens.

Dan

Where can you rent lenses and would they allow you to take it over seas?

I would recommend either
lensrentals.com
lensprotogo.com

Both are reputable lens/body and all photography equipment rental places. Also they don't require you to put the full amount of the item down when renting like Adorama does. Also with lensrentals.com they have the 2in2 deal or something like that where if you give them at least two weeks notice on a two week rental and they don't have it they will buy a brand new one just to get it to you. GL and enjoy your trip.
TJ

You might consider renting a good wide angle lens.

Dan

Where can you rent lenses and would they allow you to take it over seas?

Instead of renting, just buy a nice used lens and sell it when you get back.

I don't think you'll need a wider lens then the 18mm, but you may want a higher quality wide lens, like a 18mm or 20mm prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back