Rokinon 14mm f2.8 - the perfect budget lens for stars?

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I decided to try my hand at Milkyway photography, of course I knew I needed a relatively fast wide-angle lens for my Canon 6D. After a lot of research, and considering price, I ended up buying a Rokinon 14mm f2.8, used on eBay, for just $239. This lens isn't perfect, but for the money I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value.

On the down side, this is only a manual focus lens, but if you're going to use it for night-sky photography that really doesn't matter since you need to use manual focus for stars anyway.

So, if you're looking to get into night sky (especially Milkyway) photography, and you don't want to break the bank, I would highly recommend considering this lens. (I know it's available for Canon and Nikon mounts, but not sure about other mounts).

I have what I believe to be the same lens with the exception that it is made by Samyang. I've read before that Rokinon, Samyang and Pro-Optic are all the same manufacturer.

Anyway I love mine and my Pro-Optic fisheye. Both have tremendous DOF and are very good quality for the price.

Sure they are fully manual lenses and your camera probably will not recognize them but, in my opinion, well worth it.

A $239 14mm!!! Wow! Thank you, overseas third-party lens makers!

Not going to take away the Rokonin.
but I have been shooting with Russian glass for years adapted to an EOS system.

I have used Rokonin before and have no issues with it.

But i do wish they would put a motor on some of the glass.

the macro stuff and some other specialty lenses manual is just fine.

I have what I believe to be the same lens with the exception that it is made by Samyang. I've read before that Rokinon, Samyang and Pro-Optic are all the same manufacturer.

That's my understanding too - Same company, just (I think) Rokinon is branded for sale to the US and Samyang for overseas. At least that' what I think I read somewhere.

This 14mm is the only Rokinon glass I own (so far) and it was bought for one purpose - stars. :1219:

This 14mm is the only Rokinon glass I own (so far) and it was bought for one purpose - stars. :1219:
Nice.

i am going to peruse some macros myself from Laowa if it turns out to be nice glass.

Canon adapts well to seven legacy 35mm SLR system lenses, using glassless adapters, and giving infinity focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back