What's new

Wide Angle Lenses.

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
599
Reaction score
7
Location
Washington
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get a wide angle landscape lens as I love landscape photography. So I have a few questions.

Is a "fast" aperture important in this type of photography?

What lens would you suggest?


Thanks. :D
 
Not sure if this helps, but I have the nikon 20mm/f2.8 and love it. After I got it I don't think it came off my camera for almost year. I love using it for landscapes too.
 
I have a Sigma DC 10-20mm I believe its 2.8. My favorite lens, best thing I ever bought. Unsure if fast is needed, I think everyone I have seen is fast.
 
I have a Sigma DC 10-20mm I believe its 2.8. My favorite lens, best thing I ever bought. Unsure if fast is needed, I think everyone I have seen is fast.

I was looking at that one, and it is 3.5 which is why I asked if fast is needed. Mind posting a pic you've taken using it?
 
i have a tokina 12-24 f/4 that i love, it's UWA... not sure how fast you're wanting...
 
From my little bit of landscape "research" I found out that one shouldn't limit landscape photography to wide angles. Really, it all depends on the perspective that you want on the photo.
 
From my little bit of landscape "research" I found out that one shouldn't limit landscape photography to wide angles. Really, it all depends on the perspective that you want on the photo.

I want a wide angle though. Mainly because I already have something that covers everything else I shoot.
List as I see it now.
300mm f/4 nikkor
10-20 Sigma DC f/3.5
105 nikkor 2.8

=P I just hope I can get all those =D lol
 
Most would say that fast apertures are not important for wide angle lenses, especially for landscape shots when you'll be shooting stopped down for a wide dof anyway.

"fast" lenses are more useful for longer lenses, as they allow you to use a faster shutter speed and achieve a narrow dof. But with a wide lens, neither of these things are that important--you can shoot slow shutter speeds without worring about camera shake because the lens is so wide, and you can't really achieve a narrow dof with a wide lens even if it was fast.
 
I have a Sigma DC 10-20mm I believe its 2.8. My favorite lens, best thing I ever bought. Unsure if fast is needed, I think everyone I have seen is fast.

I was looking at that one, and it is 3.5 which is why I asked if fast is needed. Mind posting a pic you've taken using it?

Sure, here is one...
IMG_9038_39_40_tonemapped-2.jpg
 
You can also try to get your hands on the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom