Wild

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
428-c0462-64.jpg

Great pic, every time I see your landscape pics it reminds me how much I want to get back to that area ...

Didn't know you could eat Joshua seeds, but maybe that's just as well ;-)

Thanks- Sort of. Jeff's just about got it too.

These are actually the seed pods (fruit) that come out of the blossoms.

I've tasted the seeds, they are radically horrible.

Thanks.

So they come out after the white flower? Don’t seeds often have some taste stuff in them?

Great pic, every time I see your landscape pics it reminds me how much I want to get back to that area ...

Didn't know you could eat Joshua seeds, but maybe that's just as well ;-)

Thank you- I love it here. Maybe some day I'll move to the other side of the Mojave, but I'm thinking I'll never leave.

I've taken a few classes on edible desert plants, plus, done some independant study. I don't think the seeds were typically eaten, and I for one, won't be doing that again! There are more palatable snacks out there and after trying everything (non-toxic) at least once, I find the Indians used many plants either as a diarrhetic to cure constipation or a plant to cure diarrhea. A careful balance in diet I'm no longer willing to attempt to maintain. Nowdays I stick with either smoked oysters, chili-dogs, cup-o-noodles or at worst, a greasy-slick breakfast from Denny's when I'm in the field. I may not be much better off, but I can walk/stumble/crawl into a drug store and buy a 'civilized' bottle of temporary relief.

So they come out after the white flower? Don’t seeds often have some taste stuff in them?

From what I've seen and read the seed pods actually form under the dried blossoms. The pod shell is inedible while the seed itself is dry and just nasty tasting. I suppose there was some way of preparation that could improve the ~flavor~, but mesquite beans and pinon pine nuts especially are quite tasty and preferred as a staple food.

Here's some information I've collected over the years;

Indian Plant Use:
California Indians use of Plants

About the Joshua tree seed pods:
Joshua Tree, Yucca Brevifolia

About Joshua trees:
JOSHUA TREE

Mesquite: (These are the trees that were out at Zzyzx along with the California Palm -some food value- and tamarisk - no value except shade)
Mesquite

Pinon Pine: (The best! These seeds/nuts can be bought in most health food stores)

About the seed nuts:
Pinyon Pine, REGENERATION PROCESSES

About the pinon pine trees:
Pinyon Pine

I can see I have a bunch of updating to do.

Most reactions

Back