wildlife photography question

MartinPellowski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! how's everyone doing?

I currently own a canon t3 and a 400mm 5.6L lens. I understand that my camera isn't the greatest out there, looking to upgrade to a 7dmkii soon! I know that the 400 is mainly used to capture birds in flight, however i noticed that there is a ton of noise for some of my other pictures. Is that because my camera cant handle noise efficiently, (i only bump my iso to maybe 1600 sometimes but. usually keep it on the lower side). Also, should i be using a tripod monopod most of the time? I was recently looking at discontinued item called the Bushhawk, if anyone knows what that is and knows of a reputable replacement please let me know

thanks so much

Hey guys! how's everyone doing?

I currently own a canon t3 and a 400mm 5.6L lens. I understand that my camera isn't the greatest out there, looking to upgrade to a 7dmkii soon! I know that the 400 is mainly used to capture birds in flight, however i noticed that there is a ton of noise for some of my other pictures. Is that because my camera cant handle noise efficiently, (i only bump my iso to maybe 1600 sometimes but. usually keep it on the lower side). Also, should i be using a tripod monopod most of the time? I was recently looking at discontinued item called the Bushhawk, if anyone knows what that is and knows of a reputable replacement please let me know

thanks so much

Martin,

There could be a variety of reasons why the pictures appear "noisy", such as missed focus, exposure issues, etc. If you can post a sample or two with EXIF data that might help.

1600 iso on a T3 is seriously pushing its limits for ISO handling. I get noise at ISO 800 so.......

1600 iso on a T3 is seriously pushing its limits for ISO handling. I get noise at ISO 800 so.......

Wow.. never shot a T3 so wasn't aware it was that limited. My old 5100 was usually pretty good at 1600, in fact I could usually shoot up to 3200 with just a bit of noise reduction and not have it be too noticeable.

I don't consider anything above 400 acceptable on these older Rebels. But I'm critical of noise.

I don't consider anything above 400 acceptable on these older Rebels. But I'm critical of noise.

Well I knew the older rebel sensors weren't highly rated for noise at higher ISO - but I didn't realize it was that bad. Wow. Good to know though, have to file that one away for later reference.

I'm shooting with a t2i which is slightly older but also slightly better (IMO at least) IQ. It's the number one limiting factor and what is fueling my upgrade ambitions. With good exposure it's somewhat workable but yeah.... It's bad.

I can't say much on the T3 but I have a T5I with the same lens and the only time I have noise is if it's after sunset or really cloudy.
As for the mono/tripod. For birds in flight, don't bother. Now I do keep one with me for birds in trees etc.

The lens is mostly irrelevant when it comes to noise. The ISO is the main factor on noise in your photos and how well your particular sensor handles noise. I'm not sure, but I think the t5i is rocking the same sensor as my t2i which is higher MP than the plain T3.

I'm shooting with a t2i which is slightly older but also slightly better (IMO at least) IQ. It's the number one limiting factor and what is fueling my upgrade ambitions. With good exposure it's somewhat workable but yeah.... It's bad.

All in all I've been pretty happy with all three of my Nikons, the 5100, 5200 and 7100 all do a pretty good job of low noise at higher ISO. Someday of course I'd love to upgrade to full frame, but that will most likely be a while yet.

I'm hoping the 7d mark ii will be my solution

My next body upgrade will most likely be a D610 or a D800. I'm happy with my 7100 for now but would really like to get something full frame, I find myself really wanting one when I'm shooting in some of the poorer lighting conditions I encounter, and unfortunately a flash just isn't an option in some of the situations in which I need better lowlight performance.

So putting some money aside and will hopefully be able to upgrade eventually, for now at least I'm planning on keeping the 7100 even after I buy the new body, will be nice having two cameras again. I must admit I kind of miss that.

LOL !
I pushed my ten (10) year old Canon Rebel XSi to ISO 3200

(I'm critical)

6113842480_5f72d8cb3f_b.jpg

Robbins, your 6400 looks like my 1600.... and while you can get away with the noise in concert photography, especially if its for yourself, you can't get away with that level of noise for a paying client.

Most reactions

Back