Will EF Super Telephoto Lens Costs come down?

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With all this RF glass coming out could the prices for the (Used) super telephoto EF lenses come down once they produce some super telephoto RF lenses. Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the longest focal length in RF mount is 200mm. Let me know your thought's on it, thinking about purchasing a
EF 300 2.8 or a 400 2.8 in the furture.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't see them coming down for at least 5-10yrs.

That's about how long it will take for the slow adopters of mirrorless to stop buying them. When these lenses stop selling, only then will there be a discount.
Now how much of a discount? Not as much as you would like. My 500mm F4 version 1 has been out of production for a decade and is still worth $6000 CAD used so a new version 2 even with a discount 10 years from now will still sell for $9000-$10000.

I don't see them coming down for at least 5-10yrs.

That's about how long it will take for the slow adopters of mirrorless to stop buying them. When these lenses stop selling, only then will there be a discount.
Now how much of a discount? Not as much as you would like. My 500mm F4 version 1 has been out of production for a decade and is still worth $6000 CAD used so a new version 2 even with a discount 10 years from now will still sell for $9000-$10000.
Thanks for the reply, wow 5-10 years, I didn't think it would be that long, but what about (Used) lenses? Sorry I should have added the word (USED) in the original post. Like the ones from Ebay or Kijiji ect... And should I even be investing in an EF lens if I know that eventually (I WILL) switch to Mirrorless. Not sure how the Adapter for RF-EF mount will work on big telephotos???

Good quality used lenses around me still sell for 50% of their original price even after a decade out of production. It's not like theres a $5000 markup. These are quite expensive to make compared to smaller lenses.
I would say that if you see them at 50% cost and it's in good condition....buy it cause once the hipsters start they'll all be worth a new Ferrari.

Good quality used lenses around me still sell for 50% of their original price even after a decade out of production. It's not like theres a $5000 markup. These are quite expensive to make compared to smaller lenses.
I would say that if you see them at 50% cost and it's in good condition....buy it cause once the hipsters start they'll all be worth a new Ferrari.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back