Canon EF 75-300 with 2.2x magnifiers?

Vapor1970

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm new to photography and just got my first telephoto lens for my Rebel T7, the Canon EF 75-300 III UM. The T7 came in a bundle with the Canon 18-55mm lens, and a couple additional Commander lenses, the 2.2 telephoto lens and a wide angle. I used the 2.2 telephoto lens a lot and it worked fine with no noticeable changes in picture quality, but I realized that it wasn't zooming enough for me to do bird photography so I invested in the 75-300, which I've already taken some outstanding shots. I really like the lens. For my level of sophistication it's doing a great job.

My question is, I tried to put the 58mm 2.2x Commander telephoto lens on the 75-300 and it provides a very foggy picture, and not near as sharp of photos or focusing. The 75-300 actually also came with 2 other lenses, another 2.2 telephoto lens and wide angle, but this brand is Blue Pixel. When I put the Blue Pixel telephoto lens on, it won't even focus at all, worse than the Commander lens! Kinda disappointed, was hoping to get 600mm zooms for those longer distance wild life shots.

Am I doing something wrong? The 75-300 obviously has the ability to screw on the lenses, or is it not supposed to and only use filters? Appreciate any tips or pointers. Thanks for tolerating my ignorance, I have a lot to learn.

These screw on lenses are typically terrible quality and more of a gimmic than a photography tool I'm afraid. They'll hurt you image more than using a bare lens and cropping.

Teleconverters can be of some use, but they'll magnify any flaws in your lens, so are not great when paired with consumer grade optics. Though they can be used will with Canon's L series lenses (particulary the primes).

So no, you are not doing anything wrong, just those screw in lenses are junk.

The cheapest way to get a resonable quality long focal length would be to look at Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm superzoom lenses. Unfortunatley, getting extra mm costs, and quality optics at those long focal lengths is $$$$

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back