Will this do the job?

Thanks for the encouragement, Derrel :) Going to do a little research, but I'll probably end up with that set.

Looks too cheap to be of an acceptable quality and I would always suggest soft-boxes or, for convenience and speed, umbrella-soft-boxes. The umbrella soft-box gives you something close to the octagon soft-box which creates an octagonal (in the umbrella case almost round) highlight in the subject's eye - this is much better than the squared one. Our brain is used to see a round shape in the other persons's eye, and one single high-light as we are used to one, "round" sun.

I have this: Creative Light 41" Umbrella/Softbox 100870 B&H Photo Video which I like although it is not the highest quality.
I also use Impact light stands which are of the medium quality and relatively cheap:
Impact Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - Black, LS-96HAB
This might be a much better kit, a little more expensive and no soft-box like umbrellas but still better:
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit DFUMK B&H Photo Video

I can not suggest anything in that price range from your link as it is way too cheap in my opinion, to be worth it. The way my father puts it: "we are too poor to afford cheap stuff." :)

Local camera shop... LOL I live in BFE, I need to actually find a camera shop!!

VI- you're close to me, anywhere you suggest? I work right down the street from Ace Photo in Sterling, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Might try Penn Camera. There were more than there are now but they announced they were shutting down before Calumet stepped in and bought them. Their DC store was expensive and didn't carry much last time I was in there around September last year. I bought my huge Pelican case from Ace; they have a pretty large inventory compared to Penn. Other than that, I don't know of anything else in the capital area. Truthfully, online is going to be your best bet.

Just be aware, as what was said above, that the cheaper the gear you purchase the more you have to think of it as disposables. A set of $20-$30 stands may last you several years or maybe just one. $20 umbrellas could do the same. I have one of the 3 cheap lightstands I purchased several years back that still works.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/lp/PennCameraCalumetPhotographic.cfm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back