What's new

Window light portraits.

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
237
Location
Cincinnati OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF,

I did a couple window light portraits of my daughter. I just got a 100mm f2 so I had to try it out. I used a scrim for the window because I had direct sunlight coming in. The scrim just softened it up a bit.

I did black and white conversions on both. Please give me some C&C on my conversions and the light. I shot these at f2 like 1/6th and ISO 640. Out of all the shots I took these too had to me what I would consider acceptable sharpness.

The DOF on the 100mm is just SO thin at f2.


untitled-8603 by JChick526, on Flickr


untitled-8623 by JChick526, on Flickr

As always...thanks for looking,

Joe
 
Nice images! Don't care for the head chop on #2... but still nice images!
 
Nice images! Don't care for the head chop on #2... but still nice images!

Yeah I hear you. I had to make concessions. I was holding the camera in the Joe McNally "DaGrip" position to try to get any stability I possibly could because of the slow ass shutter speeds. Haven't really figured out how to do that in portrait orientation.

On the other hand (no pun intended) DaGrip allows you to handhold shutter speeds that are just stupidly slow and still get acceptably sharp images.
 
You spelled more than correct ;)
is this your first baby? Which is her date of birth? named her? is there a special date for that? would love to know all these :D
 
You spelled more than correct ;)
is this your first baby? Which is her date of birth? named her? is there a special date for that? would love to know all these :D

Her birthday is August 26th 2012. Her name is Sophia Elizabeth Chick. Yes she is our first child.
 
Nice images! Don't care for the head chop on #2... but still nice images!

Yeah I hear you. I had to make concessions. I was holding the camera in the Joe McNally "DaGrip" position to try to get any stability I possibly could because of the slow ass shutter speeds. Haven't really figured out how to do that in portrait orientation.

On the other hand (no pun intended) DaGrip allows you to handhold shutter speeds that are just stupidly slow and still get acceptably sharp images.

YEp.. DaGrip works well.

I always try to follow this: Brace equipment against body as much as possible. Brace body against something solid if possible. Use breath control... just like shooting a rifle / handgun! I adapted my Camera shooting style from shooting Target and Combat Pistol competitions when I was younger. Anything at all helps!
 
Last edited:
Nice images! Don't care for the head chop on #2... but still nice images!

Yeah I hear you. I had to make concessions. I was holding the camera in the Joe McNally "DaGrip" position to try to get any stability I possibly could because of the slow ass shutter speeds. Haven't really figured out how to do that in portrait orientation.

On the other hand (no pun intended) DaGrip allows you to handhold shutter speeds that are just stupidly slow and still get acceptably sharp images.

YEp.. DaGrip works well.

I always try to follow this: Brace equipment against body as much as possible. Brace body against something solid if possible. Use breath control... just like shooting a rifle! I adapted my Camera shooting style from shooting Target and Combat Pistol competitions when I was younger. Anything at all helps!

Do you hold your breath or exhale?
 
Yeah I hear you. I had to make concessions. I was holding the camera in the Joe McNally "DaGrip" position to try to get any stability I possibly could because of the slow ass shutter speeds. Haven't really figured out how to do that in portrait orientation.

On the other hand (no pun intended) DaGrip allows you to handhold shutter speeds that are just stupidly slow and still get acceptably sharp images.

YEp.. DaGrip works well.

I always try to follow this: Brace equipment against body as much as possible. Brace body against something solid if possible. Use breath control... just like shooting a rifle! I adapted my Camera shooting style from shooting Target and Combat Pistol competitions when I was younger. Anything at all helps!

Do you hold your breath or exhale?

I find that right after exhale, before inhale works best.

breath+control+1.gif (image)

Also, relaxing your breathing prior to the shot is as important, if not more so. A lot of people think it's as simple as 'hold your breath' but unless you relax your breathing to begin with, your body will twitch involuntarily while holding your breath.
 
YEp.. DaGrip works well.

I always try to follow this: Brace equipment against body as much as possible. Brace body against something solid if possible. Use breath control... just like shooting a rifle! I adapted my Camera shooting style from shooting Target and Combat Pistol competitions when I was younger. Anything at all helps!

Do you hold your breath or exhale?

I find that right after exhale, before inhale works best.

breath+control+1.gif (image)

Also, relaxing your breathing prior to the shot is as important, if not more so. A lot of people think it's as simple as 'hold your breath' but unless you relax your breathing to begin with, your body will twitch involuntarily while holding your breath.

^This!
 
Look out--new kid on the block!!!! Hope you have a very wonderful holiday season with the new baby and all!!!
 
Look out--new kid on the block!!!! Hope you have a very wonderful holiday season with the new baby and all!!!

Thanks Derrel. She's so young for this Xmas we are trying to hold our families back from going absolutely nuts. Probably won't succeed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom