Window Light Portrait

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quincy looks at me when I have my camera. I had to direct him to the window by tapping it and saying Look. When I walked back to the spot I wanted to take the photo he turned his head. I waited a few minutes for him to look out the window with the Look prompt.

The room was dark except for the window light. I added a light wand on low setting laying on the bed behind him to get the back of his head from being too dark. This is slightly cropped. Crop more? I've tossed around keeping some of the environment in the photo vs a close up of the pup. C&C welcome.

Window light portrait Qunicy by Cheryl, on Flickr

LOVE the image. Myself I would of gone with a horizontal crop but it is just beatiful..... Okay so ow long did he stay like that?.....I can never get a good image of a pet.

LOVE the image. Myself I would of gone with a horizontal crop but it is just beatiful..... Okay so ow long did he stay like that?.....I can never get a good image of a pet.
He was sitting up as to why the portrait orientation. The second reason is I didn't want the side table or too much bed in the shot. He stayed in this position for about 10 minutes until I gave the ok down and treat command. When he is in a photo mood and comfortable, he will sit for a long time.

I like it! Nice lighting on the face.
thanks Jeff! I waited until there was a good sunny day. I had things set up on the bed and my exposure dialed in before I placed him in the scene. The meter was underexposed a lot, but went by eyeball at the light falling.

Your lighting looks gorgeous to me. As far as crop, I just played a bit with the image on my phone, and zoomed in enough to turn it into a vertical. The left side of the frame is gone, and the pillow becomes a nondescript background, with the soft blue folds of the blanket still showing.

His eyes are so alert and focused. I like the idea of the closeup. It's really artistic choice here, since you have nailed the lighting and his expression is so good. Great job!

Lovely dog and a nice shot.... :encouragement:
Thanks Jeff!

Your lighting looks gorgeous to me. As far as crop, I just played a bit with the image on my phone, and zoomed in enough to turn it into a vertical. The left side of the frame is gone, and the pillow becomes a nondescript background, with the soft blue folds of the blanket still showing.

His eyes are so alert and focused. I like the idea of the closeup. It's really artistic choice here, since you have nailed the lighting and his expression is so good. Great job!
Thanks Terri! I took an online class in January for child photography to get fresh ideas. One segment was on window light. The classes were prep, shooting, light, color theory and lastly the edits. Interesting to see how someone else edits. I picked up a few ideas for the grands this summer.

As to the crop, the square crop worked for Instagram.

The is brill, mum loves It as well, looking over my shoulder.... and her dog would sit like that.....not. Not even a hope of sitting like that

Great portrait!

Nice shot. I like it the way you cropped it. If you were to do anything maybe a little more off the top.

Nice shot. I like it the way you cropped it. If you were to do anything maybe a little more off the top.
Thanks for the feedback!

Most reactions

Back