Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

CdTSnap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you are using Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.1 (or 8) obviously some of you use macs but never mind, ill move passed that lol

I was thinking about going back to 7 and wiping my laptop.

I hate windows 8, use windows 7

Im using windows 7 but it sucks just like every other version of windows. I need to smarten up and get a mac.

I detest Windows 8. Just hate almost everything about it. I actually liked Windows 7 pretty well.
I use 8, only because I don't have a backup of 7 to install instead and refuse to pay them a dime, so I'll just suffer through with 8. At least until my eldest son comes home for a visit, but that may be a while.

Windows 7 here. I have two windows 8 laptops, and I'm planning on switching both of them to 7.

Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you are using Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.1 (or 8) obviously some of you use macs but never mind, ill move passed that lol

I was thinking about going back to 7 and wiping my laptop.

I've got a pretty fast desktop at home that uses 2 x 42 inch TV's for monitors. I absolutely stone cold refuse to put an OS on it that makes it look like a cell phone for elephants, so no, I use windows 7 and will not upgrade until Windows releases something that doesn't have that godawful must be using a touch screen or this interface sucks interface.

If you have Windows 8 already.. I wouldn't go back.

With a little work (5 or 6 minutes.. Maybe) you can setup Windows 8(.1) to look and function exactly like Windows 7. You get all the benefits of 8 (yes.. there are some) but never have to use the Metro UI.

Even 'stock' 8.1 is less 'METRO' then 8.. and future updates will just improve the OS.

8.1 here.
i still miss xp pro even though it had 200 updates...
actually windows 98 worked fine.

Windows 8.1 on my desktop. Just reloaded Win 7 on my laptop in hopes that the drivers would be a little better, but it's about the same. Honestly, after using both for a while, it winds up not being that big a deal. Lightroom looks the same on both.

I have Windows 8.1 installed, I just miss 7 I reckon its better all round. The only thing I had issues with was finding all my drivers for the laptop lol (seeing as it never had windows 7 on it) but never mind ill find them.

Think I might do it tonight. Im building a desktop at the moment so ill chuck it on there aswell.

what killed me on the upgrade honestly, is that i have this perfectly good canon laser copier/fax i really like. But they never made a 64 bit driver for it for windows 8. so i upgraded, and cant use my fax anymore. And that just irks me. ive called canon tech support and they basically just tell me to buy a new fax machine.

I've got a pretty fast desktop at home that uses 2 x 42 inch TV's for monitors. I absolutely stone cold refuse to put an OS on it that makes it look like a cell phone for elephants, so no, I use windows 7 and will not upgrade until Windows releases something that doesn't have that godawful must be using a touch screen or this interface sucks interface.

I use Windows 8.1 at both home and work (also on large monitors)... and i doubt you could tell the difference between it and 7 (other then the lack of 7's ugly 'AERO' theme).

What i do have though is Microsofts latest OS.. That boots faster, Updates easier, has better functionality (Task Manager, Copy, native ISO and VHD handling... etc)... oh.. and updates will cost less.

Don't be one of those people that refuse to leave XP!! Take 10 minutes and learn how to make Windows 8 work for you :)

Im using windows 7 but it sucks just like every other version of windows. I need to smarten up and get a mac.

Send me $35,000 and so I can purchase all the MAC versions of the Windows software I currently own and sure, no problem - and no, a cheap emulator or virtual machine running windows under mac will absolutely not work for most of the software in question. I'm not talking office here, I'm talking some high end 3d graphics design stuff that does not work well in a virtual environment. Oh, you'll need to add in another 10 grand or so just so I can come somewhat close to matching the speed and power of my windows box. Oh, wait, almsot forgot, you better multiply that figure by 10 to cover the cost of replacing the video rendering "box" have downstairs with something mac compatible, I'd have to do some research but I'm not even sure MAC makes anything remotely close. To replace it I'll need a single machine running 32 processors at 2.8 ghz with a combined total of 640 GB of RAM that will load the Mac OS. I'm guessing that's going to be a pretty expensive proposition, if not downright impossible. I don't think MAC builds anything remotely close, but hey not a MAC expert so I could be wrong.

If you have Windows 8 already.. I wouldn't go back.

With a little work (5 or 6 minutes.. Maybe) you can setup Windows 8(.1) to look and function exactly like Windows 7. You get all the benefits of 8 (yes.. there are some) but never have to use the Metro UI.

Even 'stock' 8.1 is less 'METRO' then 8.. and future updates will just improve the OS.

So, is 8.1 less awful than 8? And what is this "stock" 8.1?
There aren't enough descriptive words to explain how much I loathe Windows 8. I hate it very slightly less on my laptop, because that's not usually for "real" work anyway. But if I'm on my desktop, it's because I have WORK to do, dagnabit, and I resent Microsoft making my big, powerful computer look like a social media play toy. :lol:

(I didn't upgrade to 8, by choice, by the way. Both my desktop and my laptop died after they stopped putting 7 on them, so when I bought new ones, they already had Win 8)

windows 8 goes down im screwed. it took me 10 years to learn enough of the in and outs of xp to fix the thing...
And the secure boot uefi whatever. Nothing but a intention to lock up your computer and market share while restricting use of the product you are buying imo. Or maybe im just pissed i haven't figured it out and don't know how to fix it (tamper with it) yet.

Most reactions

Back