Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

EDLIN 4-EVAH.

Ya'll are lost on this. Time to plug in HAL.

Do you mean the Lotus 1-2-3 v1A plugin HAL ?
I can't remember what that did ... it's been a few years lol

Is it anything like the flight simulator in Microsoft Excel???

We are going WAY off track here... but WTH..

Ok, OSX is not a Unix based operating system. It is actually based on a clone of BSD that replaces the X windows system with Mac's own proprietary video handling routines. BSD is not Unix - it is Unix like, but it is not Unix. There is a difference.

What?!?! BSD was started as a derivative of AT&T's UNIX operating system. Way back in the 90's it lost the rights to the name UNIX (In a lawsuit filed by AT&T). A layer will say BSD is not UNIX (only in a legal copyright way). But even on the BSD website it says:
The BSD operating systems are not clones, but open source derivatives of AT&T's Research UNIX® operating system

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

OSX is soooooooo (o.m.g. sooooo) much better then Windows.

1) OSX is a Unix based operating system.. Its built on the MACH kernel (freebsd, netbsd.. etc).
2) OSX is faster.. My desktop OSX system boots from the BIOS screen to the finder in under 4 seconds. Not like windows FAKE fast boot where things are still loading in the background and you cant do anything... 4 seconds to full functionality.
3) OSX does more with less.. OSX handles memory WAY better then windows. It also requires less HD space.
4) OSX has better built in tools.. TimeMachine. 'Nuf said.
5) OSX is cheaper.. Windows 8 = $100. OSX 10.8 = $20.. OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) = Free Upgrade. (how much would it cost to go from Win7 to 8? $100)
6) OSX is more powerfull.. I can run Windows Programs, Linux and OSX all from one system.
7) OSX is user friendly.. My mom can use OSX.

Don't be bad mouthing an operating system you've never spent some time with .. As somebody who makes a living working with Windows OS's (Both Desktop and Server) i would take OSX any day over Windows.

Uh...

1> Windows is based off of a brand new kernel that was designed from the ground up, taking advantage of all the lessons that were learned from prior operating systems like UNIX and (particularly) VMS.
2> Faster by what measurement? It's nearly impossible to compare two different operating systems in a qualitative way like that because there are so many variables and one thing may simply run better or be ported better to another. Also, some things you need or want are only available on one of the OSes.
3> That's so broad that there's simply no way to prove it. It's ridiculous.
4> I will give you that- out of the box- Mac has some really really nice tools and capabilities that Windows CANNOT hold a candle to. HOWEVER... Windows is the #1 platform in the industry by a LANDSLIDE. And that means that there are faaaaaaaaaaaaar more options available in the market than there are for the Mac.
5> OSX is cheaper... until you consider the hardware you're purchasing from Apple to run it on. BTW, Win8 was a $40 upgrade for Win7 users for quite some time.
6> Uh... yeah, that's just ridiculous. I can do all that on my PC as well. I have VirtualBox and VMware workstation, and have a variety of OSes running in them. I'm running one right now for some work I'm doing.
7> User friendly is all about what you know. I support Macintoshes and I'm constantly banging my head on the desk because they make things so weird. But that's just because I've been doing Windows for 80 million years and I'm not used to it. This argument is ridiculous.

So... what I'm saying... is that your entire post is pretty much ridiculous propaganda hogwash. Except for 1/2 of point 4.

Don't make assertions about things you know very little about.

BOOM!

That actually just happened

Sent from my Nexus 5 using manaheim's awesome post

Your right... I don't know what i'm talking about. I've only been a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) since ~1995 (Windows 3.1/Dos 6). I don't know why i spent all those years getting MCPD, MCDBA and MCITP certified in the past (I only hold a MCSD certificate now). We must be talking about a different Windows operating system then the one I've spent the last 20 years developing system drivers and enterprise applications for... my mistake.

(for the record.. I also worked with Apple as a contractor while OPENSTEP was being converted into what is now OSX)

(for the record.. I also worked with Apple as a contractor while OPENSTEP was being converted into what is now OSX)

Oh wow ... I remember those NEXT workstations .. we had a couple at UM

I also used AT&T Unix. Didn't they sell it off to Novell and they made Unixware ?
I had the AT&T Unix as a communications server for Toyota to our suppliers for CAD file transfers instead of using tapes .. quite groundbreaking back then

Ok, OSX is not a Unix based operating system. It is actually based on a clone of BSD that replaces the X windows system with Mac's own proprietary video handling routines. BSD is not Unix - it is Unix like, but it is not Unix. There is a difference.

What?!?! BSD was started as a derivative of AT&T's UNIX operating system. Way back in the 90's it lost the rights to the name UNIX (In a lawsuit filed by AT&T). A layer will say BSD is not UNIX (only in a legal copyright way). But even on the BSD website it says:

Ok, well I'm probably risking boring someone to absolute tears with this but...

Yes, BSD did get it's start as an open source derivative to AT&T's UNIX - but it has evolved a lot since then and there are some notable differences between it and Unix System V. I'm not denying that both have the same roots, but the two operating systems are different in many ways and BSD is not really UNIX or vice versa. It is of course closer to being Unix than say Linux, since Linux was developed with none of the original source code. Some may see this as merely a legal distinction since there is some shared source code, but really the two operating systems diverged quite some time ago as is bound to happen with any long standing open source project or one where you have both closed source and open source derivatives.

In much the same fashion I would argue that Fedora is not Redhat and vice versa - yes they do share the same roots and yes they also share some of the same source code, but they really are different operating systems at this point in time. YMMV of course, but that's my opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
IBM's AIX - unix flavor
SUN Unix
AT&T's Unix
et all
all wanted to maintain their intrinsic value of their OS, so as not to compete with a product that was basically being touted as free back then (Linux, turboLinux, etc).

Thus the legal separation
To me, it's all unix
otherwise you could also argue that IBM, Sun, AT&T, Cray etc all are NOT unix .... but some variation of something
except for AT&T - Bell Labs, as they created it
.. then they licensed it .... Xenix, BSD ... whatever .... now we're back at full circle lol

The BSD operating systems are not clones, but open source derivatives of AT&T's Research UNIX® operating system

Uh...

1> Windows is based off of a brand new kernel that was designed from the ground up, taking advantage of all the lessons that were learned from prior operating systems like UNIX and (particularly) VMS.
2> Faster by what measurement? It's nearly impossible to compare two different operating systems in a qualitative way like that because there are so many variables and one thing may simply run better or be ported better to another. Also, some things you need or want are only available on one of the OSes.
3> That's so broad that there's simply no way to prove it. It's ridiculous.
4> I will give you that- out of the box- Mac has some really really nice tools and capabilities that Windows CANNOT hold a candle to. HOWEVER... Windows is the #1 platform in the industry by a LANDSLIDE. And that means that there are faaaaaaaaaaaaar more options available in the market than there are for the Mac.
5> OSX is cheaper... until you consider the hardware you're purchasing from Apple to run it on. BTW, Win8 was a $40 upgrade for Win7 users for quite some time.
6> Uh... yeah, that's just ridiculous. I can do all that on my PC as well. I have VirtualBox and VMware workstation, and have a variety of OSes running in them. I'm running one right now for some work I'm doing.
7> User friendly is all about what you know. I support Macintoshes and I'm constantly banging my head on the desk because they make things so weird. But that's just because I've been doing Windows for 80 million years and I'm not used to it. This argument is ridiculous.

So... what I'm saying... is that your entire post is pretty much ridiculous propaganda hogwash. Except for 1/2 of point 4.

Don't make assertions about things you know very little about.

BOOM!

That actually just happened

Sent from my Nexus 5 using manaheim's awesome post

Your right... I don't know what i'm talking about. I've only been a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) since ~1995 (Windows 3.1/Dos 6). I don't know why i spent all those years getting MCPD, MCDBA and MCITP certified in the past (I only hold a MCSD certificate now). We must be talking about a different Windows operating system then the one I've spent the last 20 years developing system drivers and enterprise applications for... my mistake.

That's an awful lotta certs, there. I'd think you'd have a clearer sense of things.

I've only been an MCSE (note: That's MCP... and then some) since about 1998. Maybe those three years you have on me make all the difference.

Or maybe it's the fact that I've spent the majority of MY last 20 years as a systems administrator, supporting environments up to a couple thousand servers and ~75K or so endpoints... with only a few years as a full-time software developer.

I dunno, though... I've sure met an awful lot of software developers that know WAY more than I do about the core operating system.

Not.

Last edited:
I hate it when mom and dad fight. It scares me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, I'm a qualified Chef I know what the f**k I'm talking about and Windows is just better. End of story.

End of thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've got several operating systems that i can boot when i start my computer. Red hat has always been my favorite among them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back