Windows wants to format my SDHC card

klischee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I hope I'm right here! I've got trouble with Windows and my sdhc card.

For some weeks it was no problem to read it, but suddenly, Windows wants to format my SDHC card - I tried to read it from the camera and from a card reader. There are images on the camera I want to rescue.

The weird thing is, the cam can read and write on the card, so I can see the data itself is not destroyed. Only Windows (and Ubuntu, I tried it with the Live-CD) is not able anymore to read the card. If I try, Windows asks if I want to format it, Ubuntu tells me, it can't read the "superblock".

Card: SanDisk SDHC Ultra 8GB
Cam: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10EG-K

Do you have ideas how I could get the data copied from the card?

If the camera is still reading the card then use the camera's USB connection to transfer the photos to the computer. Then format the card in the camera.

Joe

Could the card reader be bad? Card readers are pretty cheap - it might be worth buying another one just to see if the one on your computer is bad...

Could the card reader be bad? Card readers are pretty cheap - it might be worth buying another one just to see if the one on your computer is bad...

I tried to read it from the camera and from a card reader.

It does not makes any difference if I connect my pc with the cam or the card reader, with both windows want to formate the disk..

Do you have another memory card you can use to do some testing?

If so, shoot a few pictures on it and see if you can replicate the problem. If it works fine, the first card is probably corrupted.

Thanks! I got all the files recovered with an recovery tool.

Now I should format the SDHC-card with fat32?

Ok, thanks, now the card is readable again on the PC.

It was a good choice to register here :)

Ok, thanks, now the card is readable again on the PC.

It was a good choice to register here :)
-
Format all your cards in the CAMERA that you will be using them on. (Good rule to remember).
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back