bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Something the over 50's will get right away.

windwing.jpg

intense colorscape. daring mixdown on the brink of being overcooked, but just not. Love it!

This is a technique some of you might be interested in using on selective photographs. I find it works exceptionally well when working with rusty stuff, like these cars. While the technique can be done just using the B&W Adjustment in Photoshop, I tend to use that first so I can push certain colors up and down the color spectrum as I wish, but change the blend mode to luminosity. Then, take it into Silver Efex Pro 2 and generally use the neutral setting and whatever filter I might chose (on this one it was the yellow filter), adjust the brightness, contrast and structure as desired and again, change the blend mode to Luminosity. Adding a mask, I can deftly adjust the degree of "grunge" I want either by painting out or lowering the opacity, or both.

This is a fun tool but as Frank pointed out, it doesn't take much to go over the edge. That said, I always save these originals in layered files so I can go in and adjust as needed.

Thank You!

I know and use this technique. Learned about it in Dan Margulis "Photoshop Professional" ages ago. Then I bought the Nik Collection and found that I can use the Luminosity-Mix not only with single channels like Margulis "use green channel to sharpen eyes without sharpen skin", but also will all the crazy Silver Efx!

I use it on Landscapes mostly. This way I can remake a dull & foggy landscape into a harsher version of it, also selectively because the effect sits on a layer!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back