Wiped Out!

drgibson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wow I cant believe I haven't been here in over two years! Man time seems to go by faster as I get older.

This last year has gone at breakneck speed, with me and my dad traveling through the hartland shooting Flat Track races. We logged over 10,000 miles going to Kansas, Arkansas, Illinois, Oklahoma, and through out Texas.

Welll to get to the reason for my post I came home a few weeks ago to find that we had been robbed. The most devistating loss was all my camera gear. A Fuji S2, Nikon D70, and Nikon D200, along with 6 Nikkor lenses, 80-200mm f2.8, 10.5 f2.8, 105mm f2.8, 17-55mm f2.8, 18-70 POS, and a 18-200 VR. Not to mention Flashes, filters, flash cards, and much more. All total over 15k.

Well after cutting through the red tape with the insuranse company it is about time to receive a check and start the replacement process. Question is with what? I am a die hard Nikon fan, I know that Canon has some good equipment and offers more megapixals, but so does Sony, in other words pixal count ain't everything. After reading several reviews they all agreed on on several things; Nikon's 3D Tracking is the cat's meow, Active D lighting is the bee's knees, and the low light processing is the best thing since sliced breat (I paraphrased).

Since Focus capabilities and Lighting are extreemly important to me then I am currently leaning toward Nikon again. In there arsenal is the D3, D3X, D3S, D700, and D300, If I didn't need a rugged camera I'd even throw the D90 in the mix. It is a much better camera then the D200 was.

My quandry is that since the D200 WAS Capable of everything I needed, fast focus, good burst speed, and heald up the the beating I gave it, I'm hard pressed to justify purchasing any of the flagship D3s. Infact any FX body will have me rethinking my past lens choices. Even though an FX body would be very nice for landscape & nature shots.

I will be buying two bodies one is a no brainer, D90 with the 18-200mm VR lens, Why? Because in a pinch I can use the D90 as a back up and that combo will keep my family out of my gear bag(s).

So I would appreciate your thoughts DX or FX? Is there a reason to consider sinking at least 3k more for a D3? If I get an FX body which lenses? What Lottery numbers should I use?

And of course cover anything I may have missed. Thanks for your help in advance.

My first question to you is are you used to the crop body? And what I mean by that is your 80-200 was really 120-300 on the cameras. If you go full frame your not going to get the same views you were getting. If you were constantaly at 200mm with the d200. Your gonna need a 300mm on the fx cameras.

If I were in your situation with total loss. I would jump to the D700. And full sized lenses only. And since it seems you like the track, maybe its time to pick up that 200-400 :drool:pricey but oh so nice for action.

Yeah if I get the D700 I'm gonna miss the extra focal length, but the gains of FX should be worth it. I didn't need all of the 200mm before and now it might fall a little short. I used to have the high end Kenko 2x Tele plus for special circumstances and other then the normal loss of f stops it allowed the 80-200 to focus just about as well as it did on the body. So that may be an option cause there ain't no way in hades I'm gonna blow 6k on a lens that I would rarely need.

If I get the D70 I'm looking at these lenses (so far)
24-70 f/2.8
80-200 f/2.8 (I have used the 70-200 VR several tomes and I just don't why it is almost a grand more)
another macro...

For the work camera, i'd look into a D700, 24-70, and 80-200.

OR

D700, 14-24, 50mm f/1.4G, and 80-200 if you usually shoot at wide angle and don't need much of a midrange, not to mention the 50G is small and amazing.

The D300 is a good camera, but if you have enough cash for a D700, there's no reason you shouldn't get the 700 instead unless you need the crop factor.

Most reactions

Back