Wireless or wired remote....or both?

BanditPhotographyNW

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which should I get..with a wireless remote do I need to be somewhere near the front of the camera to use it or will it trigger from anywhere as long as I am close? I know wired is tethered to the camera so being able to walk a way a bit isn't as easy...Which do you with more experience prefer I don't have either one as of yet so maybe this will help me decide.

Good wireless (pocket wizards) works anywhere you are. Don't know about the other, less expensive stuff.. but should be the same. I use both... but only because the wired is more useful for long exposures and bracketing when I need it.

depends on how you want to use it. If you only want to release the shutter without camera shake, wired is cheaper and more basic. If you want to be in the shot, then wireless is a must. Tell us how you will use it, what kind of shots you want to get. There are also options with time lapse timers and etc. It can be as basic or as complex as you need.

Some remotes can do both.

I can use my PW's for triggering the shutter and the flash (PW's have a very useful and accurate TTL mode).. Pixels are strictly a shutter release with some extra features, I believe? They do look useful though.

Yongnuo's triggers can be used interchangeably for either shutter or flash, and won't break the bank. I use a handful of the YN-603 series triggers, and they work fabulously. I don't know what the full range is, but I've used them from up to 30-40 feet away so far, and they worked just fine. I've also fired them from around corners, trees, from inside the house while they're outside aimed at setups for birds, etc. They feature PC sync ports, use standard AA batteries, and 16 channels.

If you feel you need TTL capability, Yongnuo has models for that as well, and they're still far, far less expensive than the big name alternatives, Pocket Wizards and Radio Poppers.

Comparatively, cords aren't that much cheaper, and they're usually a pain in the butt, quite honestly.

I had a set of Radio Poppers because I thought having TTL capability for my off-camera lighting would be advantageous. I played with that for maybe a year or so, but in the end, it wasn't for me. When my lighting is off-camera, the lights are on stands or clamps and pointed at a particular subject and, for the most part, neither are going anywhere. If I move the model/subject, I usually have to move the light(s) as well, and since I'm physically going to grab hold of it to move it, I might as well dial in the setting I want while I'm there. Occasionally, I have someone assist me, and it's a simple matter to show them how to move and aim the light and adjust the power on it for me, then I just tell them "take it up" or "take it down". In the end, I like manual way better, and my Radio Poppers are about to go up on eBay because I simply dodn't have a use for the TTL feature on off-camera triggers.

ETA: When I need a more specialized shutter trigger, like with an intervalometer, I use the Pixel trigger, like Sparky.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tell us how you will use it, what kind of shots you want to get. There are also options with time lapse timers and etc. It can be as basic or as complex as you need.

Sorry for the late response it been a busy day. I am probably never going to be in the shots I take, Ive never been into self portraits, Im looking more into long exposure and star trails and general night photography. I didn't know the pocket wizards did so much I may just get one of those. Thank you for the replys

I can use my PW's for triggering the shutter and the flash (PW's have a very useful and accurate TTL mode).. Pixels are strictly a shutter release with some extra features, I believe? They do look useful though.

OP mentions nothing about triggering speedlights......

I will eventually be getting some lighting I am looking at an alien bees package. The Pocket Wizard site says they make an AB adapter so that's the route ill probably go...

Most reactions

Back