wireless system? How?

bonnieml

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have spend the majority of this day trying to untangle all the info out there...
I have a Canon 40d with a 430 EX Speedlite,getting a 580EX II. Have been researching a LOT. Pocket Wizard seems the best buy for being able to remotely trigger the flash and camera. But I am confused ...do I need more than one PW? I can use it to trigger the camera, without the flash if needed? Do I need a special cable for the PC connection.
I have been reading all day, and just seem more confused. Sorry for the long post. Can someone just DUMB this down for me? Thanks, Bonnie:confused:

you need 1 transmitter and 2 receivers.. the transmitter goes on your camera hot shoe, the receivers to your flashes... they are the best things out there, but they certainly arent cheap...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0HVvEoe0U[/ame]

this video may help you understand.. i havent looked at what your flashes are.. but if you dont have a sync adapter on your flash you can buy a hot shoe sync

Hey, well I am actually reading on the same thing so here is what I know.

Yes you need a PW for the camera that will mount on the hot shoe and a PW for each off camera flash. You will also need a sync cord to run from the PW to the flash. If the flash does not have a port for a sync cord than you buy a little thing that goes on the hot shoe of the flash and then the sync cord pugs in it.

Here is another system you may look at. It comes with a transmitter for the camera and a receiver that has a built in hot shoe that way you can set you camera on the hot shoe without needing a sync cord.

http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?ic=3101020&eq=FALLSPEC.10&Tp

They are called Flash wave and seem to get good reviews. there are also others out there as well. Right know I am just useing the Nikon CLS but do hope to get a radio trigger as well:)

Hope this helps.

Check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Yes, you need more than one Pocket Wizard. The standard unit is a transceiver, meaning that is can be either a transmitter or a receiver...but you need one of each to make the connection. I think the 580EX II comes with a triggering socket for the cable from the PW, but if not (and certainly for the 430EX) you will need a PC to hotshoe adapter. For flash triggering, the PW attaches to the camera with a PC to mono cable, which should be supplied. I'm not sure what cable you need for remotely firing the camera though.

PWs are great because they are reliable, but they are expensive and with radio triggering, you only get manual flash control. If you have a Canon master and slave set (580 & 430) then you could trigger a slave remotely and keep E-TTL flash metering, but without the reliability of radio transmission.

There are also other options out there. Cactus triggers are very cheap but not as reliable. Skyports work well and are cheaper but I don't think they have the 1600' range that the PW is rated at.

You could even get a set of Radio Poppers, which work with a master / slave set and give you the range and reliability of radio with the advantages of the Canon remote system.

The 40D has the Canon 'N3' connector for the electronic shutter release, and the PW cord for that is the CM-N3 which will enable you to remotely fire the camera with two PWs.

You could save a lot of money by rewiring a Canon RS-80N3 remote cable with a minijack.

As Big Mike says, the current PW models (the Plus II and MultiMax) are transceivers. Older models, however, are either transmitter or receiver and there are a few of them still around new and also in the used market, of course.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
Well...I think I have it. I like the Radio Poppers, mainly because they will enable me to continue using my ETTL on my Canon. Any one have any practical esperience with them...I know they are fairly new...I have learned a bit on using it and like having the option available. Seems a waste not to use it. I want to add in the 580EXII as the master, and slave my 430EX. I also found a remote wireless trigger...Satechi, that will work for quite a bit less than the Canon wireless remote.+
Then there are the light stands, reflectors...it goes on.I just want to get the flash off the camera and see what I can do!
Again, many thanks. I have learned so much by reading and searching photography forums.
The shared experience by all who post here and lend their thoughts is mind boggling.Bonnie

Thanks Helen for your thoughts, I have spend some time with your photographs, thinking about them,trying to learn.I like what I see.
Have been working on a file of Black/White, trying to figure out why I like what I do and why I don't like something, so I can do/not do it again.

Just remember, with the RP's, you still have to either have a Canon 580EX II on camera as a master or purchase a Canon ST-E2 and all your future flashes have to be Canon wireless enabled flashes. It can get expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back