Wireless Tether?

But he was just trying to help (provide a link) ... really no need to use "dumb-ass" type remark.

I know, even if the link was wrong, but still ...

To chime in somewhat on the side of the OP... the "Google it." response is a BIT played out IMO. It's like the person providing that feedback assumes the poster has no idea what Google is or what it does. It's a good resource of course but isn't the entire point of the forums to ask questions of other people and to get more exact / timely feedback than searching Google hits?

In other words... any DB can click on any question and respond with "Google it" but they're not providing any value to the convo.

:soapbox:

In other words... any DB can click on any question and respond with "Google it" but they're not providing any value to the convo.

Anyone can also tell the DB to google yet they STILL persist in taking more time to post and wait for an answer rather than get the info in 1/2 the time it takes to post their question!

(Thats NOT directed at you Chris!)

The search button and Google ARE your friends!

Anyone can also tell the DB to google yet they STILL persist in taking more time to post and wait for an answer rather than get the info in 1/2 the time it takes to post their question!

(Thats NOT directed at you Chris!)

The search button and Google ARE your friends!

Haha man this is going to completely derail this thread but I'm standing firm that the "Google it" response provides no value aside from insulting the person by suggesting they can't figure out how to do a web-search without being told when to do one. S'all I'm sayin.

Just wait... I'll come across some really lame post with a common sense question and I'll be tempted to reply with "Google it". ;)

Seriously, I see MANY type the easiest questions, most are like how good is this lens or camera.

Come on dude, READ the reviews and google it to find them all! By the time the post is typed, you *could* be reading the answers to your questions... so get off your lazy duff and do it. :lmao:

i actually use it a lot too.. but when i provide a link, its at least to the right thing... it was the fact that he tried to be smart, but was actually dumb (cause he had no idea what i was talking about) that made me angry

I am not taking any sides, but I will say this in regard to the use of
"Google it"
as a reply to posts.

Surely this reply above proves the fact that a person searching for something on google who does not specifically know what they are looking for can get things wrong. So how does it help when one replys to a person telling them to google something when that person does not have an idea of the answer to search for and might even not be totally sure of the question that they are asking.

Googling for reliable information requires one to already know some facts before the search starts in order to be able to select the right resources from the 1000s of responces on google.

That is why people ask questions on forums - and that is why I do not use the "google it" responce. So a question might be basic or answered 10000000 times before - if that annoys you then just don't answer the thread and find another that interests you.

<- shocked this is still going on...

Yeah me too... slow afternoon at work. :)

Ok JerryPH... I'll give it to you that in the blatantly stupid cases "Google it." might serve to emphasize the idiotic question but I still say it's over-used.

Well since I don't think it has been mentioned, you can now buy a wireless USB kit.. making your USB devices wireless! I was thinking of trying one but not too sure how well it would work.

Yes.. it does sound interesting. If the wireless hub requires a separate power supply, I don't see it any better than being tethered to a laptop via a wire. Certainly an up coming piece of technology I am keeping an eye on. Personally, I am surprised that faster versions of bluetooth and more peripherals haven't emerged. I was almost certain that bluetooth keyboards and mice were going to replace USB keyboards and mice in just a few years.

Yeah the wireless USB thing seems to work the opposite way than what we want for tethering. If only each device had a separate dongle/adaptor thingy.

Is there a way to do it?

Anyone mention the first post?

Yes. They make shock colors that you can put a perimeter up surrounding an area. This essentially tethers you to a location without wires.

Stupid reply for a stupid post?

Is there a way to wirelessly tether my camera to my computer so that when I take a picture it appears on screen?

:er:

Just sayin'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back