Wolf Moon

Joel Bolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I caught last night's full moon just as it was rising above the trees. Known as the Wolf Moon to Native Americans, it's also called the Cold Moon by others. It's the first full moon after the Winter Solstice starts.

Attachments

• IMGP9797.jpg
    IMGP9797.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 74
I really like your capture with the branches here, but must agree it's so yellow that it's a bit off-putting. My two cents. :)

That's the color it was. When you catch the moon while viewing it through the earth's atmosphere, it can have an affect on the color, depending on the density of the atmosphere. Anyone ever seen a bright orange/red hunter's moon where you live? I've often observed it in deep yellow gold coloration when it's first rising; as in this case, not to mention red.

Thanks Kirk. The supervisor of our small rural township asked if I could provide a signed print to be displayed at our new Civic Center on the local artists wall, so I e-mailed a copy to The Darkroom to process. A lot of people tried to photograph it with their cell phones, because of the color and at about the same time this was taken, but in the couple of pics I saw the moon was totally out of focus, but the tree branches were in great focus! Apparently there's only two of us out here that use regular cameras. When it comes to names, there can be confusion, I guess. A photographer on Twitter posted a pic of the moon yesterday and referenced the name used by Native Americans. Another posted a pic and called it the Cold Moon. There was a third pic at another site that called it something else. Thanks for the Moon Giant reference.

Thanks Kirk. The supervisor of our small rural township asked if I could provide a signed print to be displayed at our new Civic Center on the local artists wall, so I e-mailed a copy to The Darkroom to process. A lot of people tried to photograph it with their cell phones, because of the color and at about the same time this was taken, but in the couple of pics I saw the moon was totally out of focus, but the tree branches were in great focus! Apparently there's only two of us out here that use regular cameras. When it comes to names, there can be confusion, I guess. A photographer on Twitter posted a pic of the moon yesterday and referenced the name used by Native Americans. Another posted a pic and called it the Cold Moon. There was a third pic at another site that called it something else. Thanks for the Moon Giant reference.

People mean well and we all make mistakes, it's all good. I like that web site a lot for the info and how it lets me know what's coming up. I hope you like it as well.

Most reactions

Back