Wonderin' about a good Camera to purchase

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the last year I have been taking photos using the office camera (Olympus E520) and for the last month have been unable to use it due to a staff member (long story). The camera was bought with funds from his department and so he can use it as much as he wants. I want a camera of my own that I don't have to constantly ask permission to use. I just downsized my living situation from living with roommates that wouldn't pay rent to an efficiency all to myself. As a result, I will be able to actually afford a camera. I would like help in choosing a model. Here are the ones I am interested in:
Olympus E620
Canon Rebel EOS XS
Pentax K2000 (w/ white body)

Or finally, the one I will most likely get anyways
Sigma SD14

I'm a computer geek who knows how to research and so I could go about researching reviews all on my own, but I know from experience that you all are the people to ask. I have kinetic tremor and so I would like a camera that has as much remote capabilities as possible to minimize my inevitable shaking.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help. And thank you also to all the helpful (and sometimes no-so-helpful) advice. I really am glad I chose to participate in a forum with so many professionals.

I hear the SD 14 is really quirky, tends to lock up occasionally, is really slow at processing JPEGs, JPEG quality is said to be terrible, battery life is not good (maybe 300 shots before battery dies) and noise is really bad above ISO 400.

Try to get your hands on the cameras and see how you feel holding one and/or maybe using it.
If you live in NYC, buy it from B&H or Adorama, test it out, if don't like it then return it w/in 2 weeks (no Qs asked) and get the next one.

I hadn't heard about the camera being slow to process jpg yet or the battery life, I ought to spend a little more time to research this. I just like the idea of the foveon technology they bought. I had heard about the lighting issues. They developed software that does lighting adjustments in post-process to battle that issue. I live in Bemidji, MN which is quite a ways from NYC and is a small town which doesn't have much in the way of camera shops. About the only way I can think of to buy a camera is to research it thoroughly and buy it off the internet. Thank you for alerting me to those disturbing issues.

OK... see if you can get your hands on the camera in staples or bestbuy and test how it feels then...
IF you don't mind paying for S&H you can still buy it from these guys and return if you don't like.

Most reactions

Back