Woo hooo! First to order the new LumaPro120.

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just placed an order for this kit. I had them leave off the cactus V2s because the V4s will be out in less than a month. Flickr Strobist pool, here I come!:lol:

I think the change to V4s was a mistake.

Modded V2s have a much greater range and are a KNOWN functioning mod. V4s are not greater in range (well not more than the 350+ feet that I am getting with my modded V2s triggers), not tested... and likely more expensive anyways.

2680526333_8f9d0b52cb.jpg

2680526375_75617b5301.jpg

Congrats on the strobist kit. I was looking at the flashes and they appear to be about the same performance as the Vivitar 285HV, but $30/ea more expenive. At this level, one could likely save some more $ and stick with the vivitar. I bought one before Christmas ($89), just to play with and it works as advertised.

Last edited:
I think the change to V4s was a mistake.

Modded V2s have a much greater range and are a KNOWN functioning mod. V4s are not greater in range (well not more than the 350+ feet that I am getting with my modded V2s triggers), not tested... and likely more expensive anyways. Congrats on the strobist kit. I was looking at the flashes and they appear to be about the same performance as the Vivitar 285HV, but $30/ea more expenive. At this level, one could likely save some more $ and stick with the vivitar. I bought one before Christmas ($89), just to play with and it works as advertised.
Well, I left the Catii off the order. I'm going to see how they hold up to the torture testing the crew at MPEX subject them to. Once the verdict is in, I'll figure out which ones to go with. The LP120 has a built-in optical slave as a backup, and they said the QC on the 285s has been a bit spotty of late. I'll post up a first impression when I get them!
Jason

Well, I left the Catii off the order. I'm going to see how they hold up to the torture testing the crew at MPEX subject them to. Once the verdict is in, I'll figure out which ones to go with. The LP120 has a built-in optical slave as a backup, and they said the QC on the 285s has been a bit spotty of late. I'll post up a first impression when I get them!
Jason
I bought another 285HV from Adorama recently, and it was nonfunctional out of the box. I bought one locally, and they refunded it really fast, but I was still a little surprised it didn't work. My other two are tanks and have been used and abused for years.

Congrats on the kit!!

On the Vivtar subject....I noticed the other day the Gadget Infinity is selling them rebadged as Cactus flashes. Someone is still making them, but I guess not Vivitar.

Most reactions

Back