voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well my guitar sold and I ordered a Minolta Dual Scan III slide scanner. My plan is to ditch print film all together. I also plan on getting the equipment to develop my own b&w. So I'll get instant gratification :D At 2820 dpi I could print my own 8x12s at home. FYI, I had a roll of slides scanned and 35 of them costed a total $35 :shock: and it was a lower resolution. Esentially, I am turning my SLR into a 4 megapixel digicam.

Also, I was talking to one of my wifes co-workers has hundreds of slides from vietnam that she wants to put on a picture disk. I advised her on the cost of getting that done at a lab and so I may take on the chore for a small fee of course ;)

DIMAGESCANDUALIII_1_L.JPG

For raw resolution, it's more like 11mp. Of course, it's debatable how much you can get out of your film (though certainly not a huge issue with slides).

thats great!!!!! ... u got urself a profitable hobby there :D

This would be the first step towards the business I want to open. The plan is to have a place that caters to scanning and printing. Kind of a do-it-yourself photolab.

See... as much as I love photography, I would rather keep it a hobby. The plan is to open a business that supports photography and helps photographers rather than shooting for money. Make sense?

oh, dont get me started on "hobby vs/ pro" :lol: ... now u got to get the Mrs. on board :D

*still waiting on that series* :roll:

Gratz, That is what I want to do too, you have to let us see how they look when you scan them onto your computer. I would like to know how the 35mm scan looks.

you don't have to ditch print film at all.

You just no longer have to make prints.

What you can do now, is scan negatives, take them into Photoshop, PaintShopPro or whatever and "makenegative".

You get the best of both worlds.

What would be nice is if they would introduce an inexpensive drum scanner (one that doesn't cost $10,000) which would give about 10x the quality scan.

You're right, I don't need to ditch print film. But slide film is so much prettier :D Granted, the ability to capture blacks and highlights at the same time is not really possible... I'll stick with print film for portraits and mid-day sun.

I would definately recommend it. I paid $290 after shipping and this thing is as good as scanners twice the price.

They still are, but those are usually higher dpi scanners. This scanner started its MSRP at $450 I think. When I got it, I tried scanning some negatives and the colors were better and there was more detail than the I saw on the prints. Even prints that were done at a pro lab! Small dust particles can be somewhat of a nuisance but easily corrected with the clone tool. Some of it is removed with the auto dust brush tool in the scanners software. If you have the time, multi-sampled scans are the way to go.

I wrote a quick tutorial here and that was from a slide scan.

Ok, I'll post some results....

First we have an image scanned for the web. 750x540

thristy.jpg

Here are two samples from a 2650 dpi scan. This scanner can go up to 2800 dpi. I set it A4 size (8x10). Neither have the unsharp mask applied which I would do if I was going to print it.

As you can see with a fair amount of fine detail there is very little grain. Granted this is ISO50 slide film.
test02.jpg

As expected, continuous tones show a little grain. Still pretty impresive.
test01.jpg

Most reactions

Back